Chapter 15

Samantha held her breath as they waited. The water was still. So, so still.

Martin put his arm around her shoulders. "He'll be ok."  She nodded, leaning into his side.

Watching and waiting was torture but the feeling that Samantha felt when the cage started to shake and she saw a tail fin thrash in the water was much worse.

"Pull him up." She looked between Martin and Quint who just stood there. "Pull him up now, Damn it!"

They jumped into action, pulling the cage up, trying to get him away from the thrashing shark. "It's giving way!" Quint yelled.

"C'mon rig somethin'. Rig something. Got it? All right. Bring him up. He's coming. Lower." Martin fussed, the cage finally breaking water.

Both men stepped back staring at the empty cage. Samantha pushed them both to the side.

"No." She shook her head. "No he's still down there." She cried. Quint walked up to her, pulling her into his chest as she cried. "No, he's not dead!" She pleaded with him. "Quint he's not-you can't... we can't leave him!"

"It's ok." He whispered into the top of her hair. "It's ok."

Before Samantha had a chance to calm down, the shark jumped into the back of the boat, breaking off the back panel.

Quint pushed her towards Brody, making sure she was away from the shark. Samantha saw the air tank roll into his hand, causing him to let go.

"No!" She screamed, grabbing his hand.

"Samantha, let go! Damn it!" He yelled at her.

She tried to grab onto something but she and Quint slid towards the sharks open mouth. Quint pushed her to the side, his own feet right at the nose of the fish.

She watched as the shark bit into his legs, causing her to flinch. She was slipping and in her attempt to climb back up, her right arm went right into the sharks mouth.

She screamed as he bit down, tearing into her flesh and bones. She pulled herself to the side, cringing at she heard the popping of her arm ripping away.

She looked and her arm from the elbow down was completely gone. Her eyes locked with Quints and for a split second she saw nothing but fear.

But then he was gone, and Martin was pulling her into the Cabin. "Hold that on there." He said, tying his shirt around her nub of an arm.

"Is it just me or is my fucking arm gone?" She breathed.

He put his hand on her cheek. "It's one-hundred percent gone." He gave a fake smile.

"Fuck you." She groaned.

The shark broke through the glass window, snapping at Samantha and her brother. Martin shoved an air tank into his mouth.

"Cmon." He said, pulling her out of the small square window.

Together they climbed up onto the crows nest. Martin of course had to help Samantha up. He laid out, his gun ready.

"All right, come on! Show the tank." Martin said as the shark swam towards them. "Show me the
tank. Blow up! Blow up!" He yelled. "Smile you son of a-."

Martin was cut off with a loud explosion. Samantha looked up as the air around them filled with blood and guts. "Holy shit!" She smiled, hugging her brother. "You did it!"

The two sat there laughing for a minute, relieved that they were ok. They were alive.

Martin looked at his shirt that had blood soaking through it. "We need to get you to shore, fast."

Samantha nodded, her eyes becoming heavy. "Ohhhh yeah."

"Samantha!" A voice yelled. She turned her head to see Hooper swimming towards her.

"Matt!" She laughed. "You're alive!"

"What happened?!" He panicked, looking over her missing arm.

"Just a love bite." She grinned pulling him in and kissing him.