A little bit of missed sleep was nothing when Hadrian's safety was at stake.

~~~

"Oh come on, Heather! Don't you want to go to Hogsmeade?" George cajoled.

Without looking up from her notes, Heather shook her head pointedly. "Got lots to do, Forge. If I need to buy something, I'll get it by owl order."

"Buysomething?" Fred gasped, "Our dear harpy, Hogsmeade weekends aren't simply about buying! It's the escape from school, the freedom! Take in the beautiful sights and smells of the outside world!"

"Mmhmm. The tiny village that you get to go every few weeks during school term. Perhaps they even have a new colour of ink on sale. How exciting," she deadpanned.

"How did she get to be such a dull girl, Gred?"

"I haven't a clue, Forge."

"I thought you two wanted to go to Hogsmeade." Heather cast a little Incendio, feeling for the magical currents in the spell. Hmm... They were like large upward pointing 'v' shapes. Quite similar to their wand movement, in fact. Perhaps that was a thought to consider. She quickly made a comment in her notes, underlining it boldly.

"Yeah, so why don't you just put your quill down-" Fred said, snatching it away.

"-and we'll be on our way!" George closed her book with a thud.

"Fred, George," she tried to say patiently, "I'm not going. You two can go have fun, alright?"

"Heather," they said in the same tone, "it's Valentines' Day."

Fred grabbed her hands and pulled her up. "You can't stay here casting spells-"

"-and muttering to yourself!" George exclaimed, forcing her into a twirl.

"Even your brother has a hot date."

"That's because he has a boyfriend!" she retorted, stepping out of the dizzying spins. "I don't see youtwo with girls on your arms. Or boys."

They looked pointedly at their arms wrapped around her shoulders and waist. "That's not what I meant and you know it."

Fred's tone changed to a serious one. "Heather, you've been doing an awful lot of work recently. I haven't seen you do anything fun for weeks now! You used brew something exciting at least once a week!"

"Didn't you two see me brew the anti-Veritaserum potion yesterday?"

George shook his head. "You wanted to have some on hand in case of anything. You weren't enjoying it. We don't even know when brewing ever became a chore for you. You used to smile even when you needed to make Essence of Dittany for us, which we know you can do in your sleep."

Heather frowned. "I was just a little tired. I needed to focus so I didn't screw it up." She had almost dropped some extra verbena into the cauldron, which would have caused lethal fumes to form. She had been quite wary of making any more mistakes after that. Her scowl was probably what they had seen. It had been such a basic mistake, after all.

"Precisely, Heather!"

"You're tired!"

"You need to take a break!"

"I'm perfectly fine!" she snapped, annoyed. She didn't need any more rest, damnit! "I would be even better if I could get on with my research, though!"

"You're more likely to make mistakes when you're tired anyway," George said irately.

Fred held up his hands peaceably. "You don't even have to go out. Why don't you just take a nap on the couch?"