42. 𝕾𝖒𝖎𝖙𝖙𝖊𝖓.

Mulai dari awal

Why was he talking like that?

" No Arjun, you cannot separate a child from his parents, please. He is my son, my life." Vani begged to him but Arjun did not respond to one single word for a whole minute and then, he kneed down in front of those two.

" You, Vani, don't deserve to be called anything, let alone a mother. I know for a fact that Amar is an equal accomplice to your actions but it's you who plans, plots and then manipulates people to believing that it's for their own good but the truth is always far from it, isn't that right? You attacked my wife and if you think that I will show you any mercy after that to let you fulfil your self-serving ways, you are in for nothing but disappointment." Arjun roared and the two of them filched backwards.

I managed to step nearer and couldn't believe what I was seeing.

They both were in chains.

Dungeon chains.

It was my husband who put them in that.

Amar was bruised all over with cuts and both Vani and him looked like she hadn't had food in days.

" Please Arjun, people forgive us." Amar asked once again, folding his hands in front of Arjun but all he got was a shake of the head in a no from his younger brother.

" You don't escape unscathed after trying to bring harm to my Siya." He pushed himself up, distancing himself with deliberate steps from the desolate cellar, his eyes a reflection of simmering rage.

" Arjun." The sound of my own voice startled me, emerging as a mere whisper amidst the tense silence.

"Arjun" I repeated, this time with more conviction. He turned, his eyes meeting mine, and for a fleeting moment, a storm raged within those depths.

" Siya...Siya please, I am sorry, we are extremely sorry. Please Siya, forgive." I heard Vani's voice and started to walk closer to them three but Arjun took three strides and stood in front of me like a wall.

" Like hell will I let you come anywhere near them, Siya. You shouldn't have been here in the first place." His eyes softened for a split second but they went back to being stern before I could even blink.

But I stood my ground, locking eyes with Arjun, feeling my heart race against the barricade he'd become. "This isn't about where I should or shouldn't be, Ranaji. It's about what's right. Punishing them like this isn't."

" Right? Let's not go there, Little Flower, because if I start tallying their rights and wrongs and hand out punishments, it'd be far harsher than this."

His words were sharp, cutting through the cold atmosphere like a blade. I could sense the weight of his frustration, but I couldn't let go of my convictions either. "This isn't about counting faults, Ranaji. It's about showing compassion and being better than they are." I kept a hand on his bicep but all he did was close his eyes in response.

" Siya, go back. Get your packing finished. We leave in two hours." When he opened his eyes again, their resolve hadn't wavered.

" I am not asking you to let them walk free Arjun, I am asking you to hand them over to the police and let them undergo a punishment which the law decides. Please." I begged.

" I am the King." He responded.

" I know that and Ranaji, as the ruler of the land, is it not your responsibility to be the first person to follow the laws that you and your council have made? When I can place complete trust on the law process made by you then why don't you mirror that same trust in your own creation?" I tried to talk some sense into him.