Chapter ten

ok guys i just got the coolest nails they're long and inspired by Bakugou's hero costume which is awesome but it's so hard to type with these things I cant

I know this chapter sucks and I'm so sorry

Something was very wrong. As if the whole villain attack wasn't wrong enough already, SOMETHING ELSE was wrong. Something bad was happening.

We barely ran into anyone as we were walking, and the villains we did see were very easily taken care of. I was starting to run out of rocks, however, so I picked them up as I went along.

Until, as I was flicking through my list, mentally preparing myself for whatever battle we might have to partake in, Todoroki tapped my shoulder. 

No, not tapped. He rapidly hammered it in some sort of unconscious panic until I looked at him, snapping, "What?!"

He didn't answer, his miss-matched eyes locked onto something in the distance.

My eyes followed his gaze. And there, gripped by a massive monster and twisted between misty portals, was All Might.

In unison, Todoroki and I broke into a run, desperately trying to get to our teacher. The scene became clearer as we approached, the monster's fingers gripping All Might's side, blood leaking through his shirt.

I locked eyes with Todoroki as I ran, a stupid idea forming in my mind. Todoroki, seemingly recognizing my expression.

"Y/n, whatever you're planning-"

I started running again before he could finish.

"Y/n, DON'T-"

Footsteps behind me told me that he was following, but I didn't care. Someone- Izuku?- shouted something, but I was focused.

The monster looked up at me, letting out a loud, low growl.

"Young L/n!-" All Might called.

I locked eyes with the monster, and jumped.

My hand came down on its back. 

And it vanished as I placed it in my inventory.

Complete and utter silence settled over the field as my classmates and the villains stared. I rolled, landing on the ground and brushing myself off.

The rest of the battle was short.

----------------------------------------------------------

"I'm torn between wanting to throttle you, wanting to ask you how you did that and how you knew that would work, and applauding you for your quick thinking." Todoroki mumbled, standing next to me as the police pack up the last few villains into the cars.

"Preferably not the first one but thank you for the consideration." I deadpanned. Shoto sighed.

After a long pause, I glanced at him. "Remember how I said that I had several questions?"

"...Yes." His voice is low, like he's dreading my next words. It doesn't stop me from saying them.

"...Do you... wanna talk? Are you ok?"

He doesn't answer. Instead, he mutters, "Shouldn't you be calling your parents? To tell them that you're alright?"

"Mom's probably heading towards the emergency room right now to deal with Mr. Aizawa, the last thing I want to do is bother her."

Another pause, before I add, "Shouldn't you? Be calling your parents?"

Todoroki looks away. Hesitantly, I set a hand on his shoulder. A warm feeling settled into my hand as I did so, and for the first time, I understood why.

"Todoroki, I won't force you, but that stuff you were saying back there was heavy. I won't force you, but I want to help, and I want to understand. So, if you want to talk, I'm-"

A hand, ice cold, came back to rest on mine. My heart skipped a beat as I breathed, "-I'm here for you."

"Not now." He said, finally turning to look at me. "But... talking would be a good idea."

We lock eyes, and I realize he still has a grip on my hand. I nod.

"Whenever you're ready."

The bus ride back to U.A. was quiet. Most students were still on the phones with their parents, or talking in low tones with their friends. I was sitting in silence next to Todoroki, squeezing Bagheera like a lifeline. I was worried. Worried for Mr. Aizawa, worried for my classmates, and worried about the upcoming conversation with Todoroki. He was putting his trust in me. I couldn't let him down.

-----------------------------------

He approached me as I was leaving to wait for the bus. Ochaco's mother had come early to pick her up, but Mom was still at the hospital, probably working overtime for Mr. Aizawa. 

I stepped away from the empty bus bench, watching him hesitate.  "You don't have to tell me anything, if you don't want to. I don't want to pressure you."

Todoroki shook his head. "If there's anyone I want to know this... I think I would rather it be you."

I blush a little at that. I never knew he thought so highly of me.

Todoroki closed his eyes, setting his hands in his pockets.

"Have you ever heard of quirk marriages?"

I missed the bus that night.