jesus man, you're so sappy

Start from the beginning

"Sorry, sorry. I thought you were dead man!!"

Johnnie squeezes his eyes shut as the taller man continues, frantic with relief,

"Like dead, dead." His eyes widen marginally to emphasize the sentiment. "I already had your funeral playlist planned." He throws in a half hearted joke to lighten the mood even though the thought of a funeral and Johnnie in the same sentence makes him kind of want to vomit after this whole ordeal.

"The fuck man?" Johnnie chuckles a bit, the small laughter turning into a coughing fit. "I get it, you thought I was 'dead dead'." He uses air quotes to mock Jake's statement,

"Ugh I kinda wish I was, it hurts like a bitch."

Jake decidedly ignores the first comment, "What hurts?"

"Me." It sounds super, super emo, but it's probably true.

"Sorry man," Jake winces, even though he says it in a way that you would when you're apologizing for someone's situation that's unrelated to you, he hopes Johnnie knows that he means he's sorry that he -specifically- did this to the other man.

"Seriousy though, I'm sorry for," he gestures wildly at the current state of his friend, "all of this.."

"Dude.." Johnnie looks at him like he just grew an extra head, "It's not your fault that I'm so fuckin weak-"

Okay, that makes Jake a little frusterated, "Johnnie oh my fuck - this is not the time to be self depricating, you almost fucking died..."

The shorter man scoffs, "Exactly.." then looks down at the IV in his arm with distain.

Jake brings a hand up to his own forehead in frusteration and starts pacing around the depressing ass room, why can't his friend just accept that this isn't his fucking fault at all.

"Johnnie." He continues to refrain from calling his friend an insult like he's so used to. "Just.. I'm happy you're okay.." His voice trails off, he was so fucking scared. "You scared the shit out of me."

Johnnie looks up at him, almost seeming confused or.. surprised? The fuck.. they're like best friends, of course he's gonna be fucking devastated at the thought of his friend dying?!

The smaller man quickly schools his expression to something lighthearted,

"Jesus man, you're so sappy." He's got a reserved version of the goofy smile that Jake both loves and hates (loves?? fuck..) plastered across his lips and the taller man resists the urge to roll his eyes. The little asswipe can't take anything seriously - Jake doesn't blame him, really, but still.

Johnnie's heart monitor speeds up after calling him sappy and Jake side eyes it before raising an eyebrow at the other who just shrugs with a hint of blush tinging his cheeks.

Johnnie's sudden almost shy demeanor is concerning to Jake.. just yesterday he was yelling at the taller man about how cold he was and 'how could Jake drag him out into the woods for a video'..

Is he really that ashamed of himself for getting hurt of all things..?

"Ugh, whatever dude. Can I hug you now?" Jake responds after an almost uncomfortable silence, receiving a questioning gaze before the older man finally laments after judging that Jake is being genuine.

Jake can almost feel his friend roll his eyes into the hug and he smiles at the fact that at least that is normal behavior. Johnnie also shudders into the hug and Jake has to bite back a comment on that as he tightens his arms around the emo man's waist and buries his face against his shoulder, he doesn't think Johnnie would appreciate any more concern right about now..

Nurses come rushing in and they split apart reluctantly.

-

important notice but how would you guys feel about me expanding this fic and following them thru other 'video ideas' instead of ending it at the resolution of the 'camping video'?? that would mean more chaps versus it ending sooner

thats why i renamed it 👀 tell me what yall think please!!

also - GUYSGUYSGUYS ! if u are tired of having to watch ads on here (i hate the adds SO MUCH) i also posted this fic on AO3, my user's THRUtheASHESiveWATCHEDuBURN and the fic is named 'so desperately obvious / Camping *GONE WRONG?* (ft. Johnnie Guilbert)'

i changed up the formatting a bit on there (combined chapters)

i may also post some oneshots/other jake/johnnie fics over there so 👀👀👀

normal end of chap notes -

did i mention SLOWBURN? lmaoo- ofc Johnnie is alive, i put in the desc that this is supposed to be a light read 😭 just needed some tension

as always lmk if there are any mistakes! i wrote this quick and under duress. also LEAVE VOTES ND COMMENTS (sry i keep pestering yall its important to my motivation thoo)

(sorry for the long notes! had important info 😎)