Chapter 20

WISH

Mari thinks she can keep me out of the loop. I'm the only who told her about Vear contacting us. I'm the one who came up with the plan to trap Vear at the Frat House. I'm the one who is risking her life day in and day out, while this paper butterfly lives another day.

Maybe what I'm doing is stupid, but I have to hear the words straight from his mouth. I need to know more about this paper butterfly and how I can destroy it. Of course, he won't tell me outright what I want to know, but with a little give and take, I'm sure he will oblige. Vear has been searching for this butterfly for, I don't know—forever it seems. He must know more than the story books are telling. He to know a way to kill this thing.

I walking down the dark hallway, making sure my footsteps are soft and quiet. Light from the room, shines from the bottom of the door. It's so bright, I can't imagine having to sleep in that kind of harsh environment. With one easy turn, I open the door and step inside.

Vear is bound by chains and glass cuffs. His head is dropped forward, hair drooping over to cover his face. Shadows crack and snap at the light around his shoulders, trying to disarm the impossible. He's breathing heavy, but I'm no fool. He has to be faking it.

I look around the room, but the lights are too bright, they're giant balls of sun. There are no exits in the place, no way for him, or me, to get out. Until I decide to open this door again, we're trapped in here together. Alone.

The second I shut the door behind me, a sharp smile crawls over his face. "I was wondering when you'd stop by, dreamwalker."

Even in a dream his voice is alluring.

He thinks I'm here in the real world. Good. At least I know my plan is working out so far. I lean against the padded wall, crossing one foot over the other. "So, I heard you threatened to kill me to my mom's face. That's not very nice of you."

Vear keeps his eyes on the floor. "Your comrades threatened to burn me alive."

"You killed my teacher," I snap.

He chuckles under his breath. "You're forgetting yourself, dreamwalker. Why did you really come here? To merely spit words in my face?"

He's right, I hate to admit. I can't let my anger get the better of me. I need answers and I need them now. We've run out of time.

I cautiously slide to the ground, so I'm more level with him. His dark gaze peeks from beneath his fallen hair. "What can you tell me about the paper butterfly?" I ask.

He watches me, watches my chest rise and fall as I try keeping myself calm. He stares at me for what feels like an eternity until I decide enough is enough. I get up to leave. This is a waste of time. I should've known he'd never tell me anything.

My hand is on the door knob when he speaks. "I have been searching for the paper butterfly since I was a child of five. It first appeared to me in our garden at home and quickly took a liking to me. I used to play with it. We would run around the flower patches and float near the waterfall. Many servants thought it was hilarious. An insect playing with the little prince, they laughed. But I knew deep down it was magical. I could taste the power on my tongue."

If he's telling the truth, he's been chasing after this butterfly for ten years. And here I thought he was just obsessed with its power. Maybe there's more behind the story than just what the butterfly can give him.

"Why didn't you catch it then?" I ask. "If you were so close?"

Vear chuckles, again, as if my words amuse him. "Why does a cat play with its prey before it eats? Curiosity or enjoyment?" he says. "Tell me, dreamwalker. Why are you working for Gens Helios? For money or entertainment?"