16 - Sixteen - Sam Wood's Point Of View.

Reid smiled at me, and I felt sick. How could he smile at a time like this? He stepped back and took another look over me, his face showing concern.

"Sam, you don't look well. Maybe you should have worked from home."

"I had to come to work, and I'm fine. I just didn't sleep very well last night."

"After the night you had, I understand," Reid said softly, coming closer again and setting his hand against my cheek. "I made us both lunch, something that should sit alright in your stomach."

I nodded and followed him to the desk when he set go of my cheek. Sitting down on one side of the desk, I watched his movements. He went and got two containers out of the mini-fridge in his office, bringing them to the desk and sitting down. He popped the lids off and slid one container towards me. Passing me a fork, and I looked over the meal inside the container.

"It's a quinoa salad, with a ton of vegetables, grilled chicken and a homemade dressing," he said, taking a bite and looking pretty pleased with himself. Taking a chance on his salad, I took a bite. Chewing slowly, I got a few different flavours, but nothing that was gross or off-putting.

"It's ‌actually pretty good for boiled bird seed salad." I muttered. Reid finished chewing the bite in his mouth and frowned. "The 'boiled birdseed', as you said, is good for you."

"Sorry that wasn't an attack on your salad—hmm, I mean, it wasn't supposed to be." I said, realising that it really seemed like that.

"I picked it because it would fill you up and be fairly easy on your stomach. I wasn't sure if you would be affected by morning sickness already."

Pushing around the food in the container, I let out a sigh. "Not really, or not that bad, yet. I'm sure it will get much worse through the pregnancy, if I hold this child as viable for the full term. Reid, I was going to tell you, but I didn't want to get your hopes up. We know my body is not meant to carry a child, and at any point, I could reject the child."

"Yes, I thought about that. In the end, I am more concerned with your wellbeing than the child growing inside you," he said and took a drink out of his water bottle.

"I have no intention of aborting the child, not if I don't have to. But I won't force you to be present—--."

"Samuel." Reid hissed, cutting me off, and I could tell he was pissed. He loosened the knot on his tie and unbuttoned a few buttons on his dress shirt. He exposed the bite mark I made on his throat. "This mark on my throat. Don't you dare tell me you've forgotten about it already?"

"I haven't. I wanted to give you a choice, in case this wasn't what you wanted out of life."

"I respect that, but that child is my flesh and blood, too. If you'll allow me, I want to be with you the entire time. Pregnancy, and the after, whatever that is. We are mates, and I intend to make good on that. Much like you said, you would take responsibility for your mark, Samuel," he said, relaxing back in the chair, his shirt and tie still messy.

"Let out your pheromones." I said and watched his face.

"Is that safe for you and the child?"

"Yes. Your pheromones are beneficial to the pregnancy."

"Samuel, about the phone call last night. You're upset with your mother, I assume?" he asked, and I felt angry again, remembering what she did.

"Yes, I'm pissed at her. She took it into her hands, and told you, but what if you had been angry about it? What if you had been married and didn't want a child? What ifs are dangerous, and she could have put my life in danger? I should have been the one to tell you. It was my job, not hers. If you and I had been two different people, this entire story could be ugly today. There are people who get killed for shit like this." I sighed, and took another bite of the lunch he made for us.