chapter 7; where does your allegiance lie

Start from the beginning

A small pit formed in your stomach as you responded "Caroline Langley, sir." You kept your voice as neutral as possible, hoping to keep your disguise secret.

"It's been quite a while since you've been around the scouts, Nile. She's risen up the ranks." Erwin said, covering for you.

"Hmm." He hummed, not fully believing the story.

He was about to question you more when out of nowhere, a bright yellow and green light exploded from a mile or so away. The blast caused nearby windows to shatter and the ground to shake. Everyone looked in terror at the sight as the Female Titan appeared into view.

"A titan?! This far into the walls? Impossible..." Nile trailed off.

"Nile." Erwin spoke up, "Deploy all your troops. You should assume that a titan has already appeared." He advised.

You shared an uneasy look with Levi who was looking forward to Nile.

"Are you out of your mind?" Nile questioned. "This is Wall Sina, there's no way a titan could have just appeared."

Jean jumped out of the carriage he was held in as an M.P. tried to keep him contained, "Hey, Yeager! Who said you could move?" They asked, pointing their gun towards him.

"Oh, to hell with this shit!" He seethed, tossing the wig off. He ran up to Erwin and saluted, "Sir! What's the plan."

"Jean, ask squad four for equipment and assist Hange." He ordered Jean who nodded and left.

"Sir! Here!" A scout soldier said as he came out from hiding and opened a trunk to reveal Erwin's set of gear.

"What the hell?" Nile said in confusion, realizing he'd been set-up.

"Alright! All of you with me. We'll rendezvous with the capture squad." Erwin ordered as he put on his gear.

You grabbed his arm and whispered harshly, "This is your plan? Wreak havoc in a city full of innocent people? It'll be a bloodbath."

Levi pulled you back from the Commander, and restrained your arms. Erwin only shot you a look before ignoring you again.

Nile loaded his rifle and pointed it at Erwin's head, "Like hell you're about to leave!" The line of gunmen behind the M.P. Commander followed suit. Soon, you had 16 guns pointed in your direction, ready to take you out in seconds. "This is treason! I am well within my rights to shoot you where you stand."

"Think long and hard, Nile. I don't believe you're as thick-headed as you look." Levi spoke up, still pinning your arm behind your back. "You're a trigger-pull away from making the worst mistake of your life."

Then, another bright green flash of light exploded. Eren must have transformed to fight the Female Titan.

"What now? Another?" Nile cursed.

An M.P. soldier ran up from behind to report to Nile. "There's two titans hashing it out in the street. We believe one is Eren Yeager. The casualties are numerous..." Nile gritted and pointed his gun back at Erwin.

"Because of your plan, you've brought hell straight to our door." He said.

"I know." Erwin said solemnly, "And I offer no excuses."

Nile dropped his gun and grabbed Erwin's collar. "You son of a bitch! You knew this would happen. Why, dammit, why?!"

"For victory." Erwin remained stone-faced

"Bullshit! I should kill you right now."

"Do what your conscience tells you. My post is yours. If you kill me now, so be it. But you have to take my place in Command and make sure the Female Titan is captured." Erwin went into the details of the plan, fully prepared to die and have Nile take over.

"This man is crazy." You muttered, your arm beginning to hurt from Levi's grip.

Nile interrupted him, realizing he did not want to take on Erwin's role. "W-wait. Do you really think this is for the best?"

"I believe it's a step forward."

Sweat rolled down Nile's face as the rumbles from the distant giants filled your ears. He lowered his rifle, "Lower your guns. Place this man under arrest. Deploy all troops!" He turned to Erwin. "I wash my hands of you. Your fate is in the grasp of the high court."

You finally shook Levi's grip off of you and he loosened up as he stepped back. You shot him a glare for good measure.

"Caroline." Erwin addressed you as the soldiers placed him under arrest. "Follow Jean and go assist Hange." Your eyes widened as he gave you the task at hand. "Levi is still injured, and you know your way around with titans. Don't make me regret this. Remember where your allegiance lies."

You glared at the crazed man before looking at Levi who gave you a nod of approval. You couldn't quite tell, but you swore you saw a flash of worry in his eyes.

You nodded, "Understood." you said, turning on your heel and running off in the direction that Jean had gone.