chapter 6; insomiac

Start from the beginning

Someone had lit a candle to provide some light. The flames flickered off the walls, and your eyes fell to the bed in the corner. Two fresh white shirts and dress pants laid folded on the bed. Next to it was a green cape with the Survey Corp emblem.

"It's probably time you got rid of that black cape. That's bound to bring attention to you. And it's tacky." Levi said, standing in the doorway.

You smirked a little as you ran your fingers over the fabrics, "Didn't know you were the fashion police." He just stared through you at the window. "Thank you." You finished. You didn't show it, but it was nice to have a fresh pair of clothes.

"We're pretty tied up tomorrow. Erwin will be busy with trying to talk his way out of the government's wrath after this shitshow. Hange, the section commander as well as his right hand man, will be in charge of making sure the operation goes smoothly. You and I will be accompanying Erwin to meet with the commander of the MP's, Nile Dawk."

"I see." You nodded, still exploring the room.

"That means there won't be any time for you to talk like you wanted. And if the operation goes south... I really don't know what will happen."

You turned to look at him, "I understand."

He began to move for the door as he said, "Then I will leave you to it. Be ready to go by 8 o'clock." He shut the door, and you collapsed onto the bed, finally alone.

————————

You huffed as you shifted around under your covers. You flipped on your back and stared at the wooden ceiling. The moonlight shone through the window, casting a glow throughout the room. You stared at the clock on the wall. 3:27am. You groaned, only 15 minutes had passed since you last looked at the time.

You were too restless to try sleeping again, so you sat up in bed, leaning on the edge for a moment before you quietly got dressed in a pair of brown flowy pants and a cream colored shirt that you found from the previous tenants in their wardrobe.

The door creaked as you peered out into the hallway. It was nearly pitch black, besides the light from the large window at the end of the hallway to your left. You silently closed the door behind you and crept through the building. You made it to the grand staircase, and floated down the stairs. The marble was cold on your bare feet.

You took a right at the bottom, on a hunt for the kitchen. You'd forgotten how hungry you were after getting caught up in the forest. You came to a door with a golden label nailed to the wood. Kitchen. The door was already slightly cracked and a candle glow spilled around it, beckoning you in.

You opened the door wider and stepped forwards carefully. You jumped slightly when you noticed Levi sitting in the candlelight at the table with a cup of tea in his hand.

"Oh, it's you." He said, turning his attention from the window as you entered.

"Your enthusiasm is terrifying." You snarked as you made your way through the door. You heard him snort at your comment.

"Tea, huh? Is there any left?" You asked, motioning to the teapot.

"A little. The cups are in the first cabinet to your left." He turned back to the window.

You grabbed a small porcelain cup from the cupboard and slinked your way over to the table he sat at. You slid into the wooden chair and placed your cup in front of him as he poured some tea for you. However, the cup was barely filled half way before the liquid ran out and little tea leaves flowed from the spout instead.

He snorted again at the comically sad cup of tea he poured you.

You smirked as well, "And they say chivalry is dead." You said, pulling the cup towards you.

"Can't sleep?" He asked, raising his own cup to his lips to take a sip.

You sighed, swirling the tea leaves at the bottom of your drink, "Seems like it." The conversation came to an awkward lull.

"I guess I'm just restless." You offered, wanting to keep talking. "I've never been this far inside the walls before. It doesn't help that everyone seems to want me dead."

"I understand. I felt that way once, too." His eyes met yours. Oh?

"So where are you from, then?" You asked, curious to learn more about this stranger.

He leaned back in his chair and draped an arm over the back. He stared at his drink, "Many years ago, an underground city was built as a last resort for humanity should the titans attack. However, it was never needed. Most likely thanks to your family's efforts outside the wall, no doubt." He said, looking back up to you.

"Yeah, don't mention it." You said jokingly.

"Soon enough, the place became littered with criminals while the interior civilians pushed the poorest of them underground, not wanting to deal with them on the surface. My mother was a prostitute in that city. Didn't know my father. It was an abominable dump heap, though. Lawless, too. It was either kill or be killed." He trailed off.

You listened intently, as you took a sip of your tea. The refreshing taste of chamomile left a smile on you lips. Wow. You thought. This man makes a damn good cup of tea. "So how'd you end up here?"

"Erwin found me. Recruited me for the Scouts." He shrugged

"Huh, that place must have been pretty bad to think the Scouting Regiment is an upgrade." Another silence fell over the room. This time, you didn't mind it as much. It was almost comforting. You felt if anyone could relate to your life, it would be Levi.

"What are you doing up so late, anyway." You asked.

"Insomnia. Never been able to sleep well."

"I guess we have more in common than you think." You said, finishing the cup of tea.

"Y'know, if I'm trying to hide my identity, I'll need a new name. I'm thinking...Caroline Langley." You pondered, leaning back into the chair, thinking back to the name of that dead scout you first encountered inside the walls. You don't know why she came to mind but the name stuck.

He scoffed slightly, "It'll do, I guess." He cleared his throat as he scooted his chair back. He washed his cup and put everything away with meticulous detail. You watched as the muscles flexed under his shirt. He may be short, but you'd be lying if you said he wasn't handsome.

He turned for the door, "Well then, Caroline. I will see you in the morning." He stopped before leaving the room and pointed to the freezer box in the corner. "There should be some smoked meats in there if you're hungry."

"Thanks, Levi." You nodded, ironically right as your stomach grumbled. He closed the door behind him and you sighed, staring out the window.