Chapter 2

A two year old Gwyneira was nestled against her mothers chest who wrapped her up in her shawl as if to hide her from the cruelty of the world outside. All Gwyneira could feel was her mothers heart beat, her warmth. She could smell her mothers calming scent despite being able to feel her mothers discomfort. She also knew her brother was in the shawl as well as he was rubbing her back.

Percy was observing everything as he had his head poking out of his mothers shawl as his mother held him tucked into her side while his little sister was nestled into their mothers chest. He could see how tense everyone was. How some children that were in lines were trembling. He was always confused by it. But he knew that the ones who get called up never come back. He was also rubbing his baby sisters back. Percy didn't know why he was doing it, but he found it soothing. 

Ri'nela stood tensely as she stood with a lot of adults and parents. It was always gloomy on reaping days. The sun hidden behind the clouds as if it sensed the pain and suffering everyone feels because of this. Ri'nela couldn't force herself to imagine her children. Her babies being reaped. Just the thought of it caused her to hold Gwyneira closer to her chest as she made sure she was covered and hidden from the world thanks to her shawl. She also made sure that her six year old was tucked into her side as she held him as well wrapped in her shawl with his little sister, but his head was poking out to observe. 

Logan was standing on stage with the other victors, but he caught sight of Ri'nela further in the crowd as he saw that she was holding both their children. He made eye contact with her as they gazed into each others eyes. He could tell she was hating this, but she wasn't the only one. Mags, Tyler and himself hated reaping day as well, alongside everyone else. The victors hate it because they have to mentor the tributes and then watch as they are basically slaughtered. Logan knew for a fact that he would rather die than see his children. He little boy and baby girl get thrown into an arena. Or even thrown into the Capitol. He'd do everything in his power to protect his small family, that are the reason he lives and breathes. That holds his heart.

Everyone dreads the reapings especially when names of your children or friends get called out. It's heart wrenching. But most find it unfair how the Capitol don't throw their children into the arena. How they aren't forced to watch as their babies get slaughtered like animals. Or have to watch as they return home as a shell of the person they were. They don't have to face the horror of the reality that is Panem.

Gwyneira nestled more into her mothers warmth and comfort as if she could sense her mothers discomfort. The little dark crystal blue eyed girl still wasn't really used to how quiet and tense everything was. She was used to hearing the ocean, her fathers boisterous laugh, Tyler plotting revenge on her father for dragging him into town to help get Mags groceries, Mags explaining how to make fish hooks to Percy (who is still learning) and to her mothers soft gentle voice. She was used to comfortable quiet. Not the tense quiet that would cause anyone to be on edge. 

When District Four's female and male tributes were called up Ri'nela held her children tighter to herself. She remembered how it felt to watch Logan get his name pulled from the reaping bowl. It felt like her heart was being ripped out of her chest, stomped on, torn to shreds before being given back to her. She could only imagine how parents would feel seeing their children get sent into slaughter. That feeling of dread. It's horrible. All she can really hope is if they die, they go out quick.

Once everything was done Ri'nela decided to take the two kids to see Mags as she knew the 11th Hunger Games victor wasn't going to be mentoring this year. As she decided the boys could handle mentoring on their own. 

Getting to Mags' house was easy, as Gwyneira was still wrapped up in her mothers shawl against her chest. Percy walking next to Ri'nela, who was making sure that Percy never left her sight, as reaping days made her highly paranoid. As soon as they had entered Mags' house Percy went looking for the woman, while Ri'nela unraveled Gwyneira from the shawl a little.