Chapter 1- Part 4

This is the last Part of Chapter 1! Each part will cover an "arc" of Farryn's journey. I'm planning about 5ish Chapters, but that is subject to change. Some of the Chapters might be under 4 parts, or over. Happy Reading!

After a few hours of turbulent riding, the girl woke groggily, rubbing her hair onto her face and yawning loudly.

"Luli. Where are you going?" the girl shrugged. "I don't want to be in the factory any more." "Why not?" "Because they're mean. They hit me with big sticks." "But-" "Do you have any money? I'm very hungry. I don't want to die."

The question stunned Farryn, but she nodded. "Well, my name is Farryn. I'm going to Tuckson. We're only a few hours away, and then I can get you some things. Then what will you do?"
Luli sighed. "Then I'll find someone to get me more money." she says. "I'll be rich." Farryn couldn't help but smile. "You will?" "Mhm."

They sat together in silence for the rest of the journey. When the train finally stopped, in a small town a little ways away from Tuckson, Farryn stood, brushing her dress off. "Come on then, Luli." she said. The girl nodded, hopping off of her seat. Farryn wondered again at how little she looked.

"How old are you, Luli?" she asked the little girl as they dismounted. The girl paused, almost tripping the large man behind them Farryn grabbed her hand and pulled her out of the way as the girl counted aloud.

"I'm five." she said, settling. They stopped out into the cold breeze of the morning, navigating through the throngs of people. This town was little more than a train situation; the nobles in Tuckson didn't want it in the city, so it was placed outside it instead. But that didn't mean they were lacking for a market, and Farryn guided Luli and herself through the throngs of people.

"A pie!" Luli cried suddenly, startling her. She stopped, tugging on Farryn's hand. "Ah- yes yes, I see it," she muttered, noticing the sign Luli was pointing to; a steaming pie drawn onto a bit of wood by a stall. "Would you like a slice?" Luli nodded vigorously. "I want a big one!"

They fought their way towards the pie cart, where the owner was shoving slices of pie into little burlap bags. "Good morning, Madam," Farryn said, smiling brightly at the woman. "Two passes for two slices." the woman said in response.

Luli tried and failed to peek over the cart. "I want lemon pie." she said, pronouncing lemon as ly-mon. The woman shrugged. "I have apple and veal pie. One or the other." "I'll get two veal slices, if you please." the woman shoved her little spatula and brought up two slices, shoving them in a bag and then shoving it at her.

Farryn dragged the pair away from all of the commotion, settling down on cobblestone stairs that led into the train station, Luli close beside her. "Here you are." she said, carefully handing her the already soggy slice. 

The little girl frowned. "I don't want it." "Wh-what?" Farryn blanched at the proclamation, but Luli handed the slice back. "I want lemon." she insisted.

"I don't have lemon." Farryn said, baffled. "And I thought you were hungry?" Luli nodded intently. "I really am. I'm starving to death." "Then eat it!" "I don't want it."

Luli sat herself down beside her and crossed her arms haughtily. She looked like a displeased lady and, in her confusion on what to do, Farryn decided to just start eating her own pie. She was hungry, and she didn't want to waste any time once she found a ride to Tuckson.

The pie crust was dry and brittle, but the filling was hot and tasted good. She ate it quickly to make sure she didn't soil herself with the filling. She wanted to keep her new clothes clean.