9: "Even in this dreadful state I'd still leap out of the bath for Chinese."

Harry:

As Sienna spoke, more and more rage boiled up inside me. Once she finished, I got up angrily and noticed the small white crescent-shaped marks in my palms where I'd been digging my nails into them.

"I feel sick." I seethed. "He's disgusting. If I ever see him again I'm gonna--"

"No!" she cried. I stopped and looked at her, "You can't."

"Sienna he hit you. Take a look at the bruises on your face!"

"You still can't go." her voice shook.

"But he tried to--"

"Harry plea--" she tried to talk but I cut her off.

It could have been rape and--" she cut me off this time.

"NO!" she yelled. "Just stop! Seriously Harry, calm down!"

Her eyes blazed with fear and I sat back down quietly. 

"For god sake! Why is life so stupid!?" she wailed, burying her head in her hands.

"Just breathe," Liam said, reaching over to carefully rub my back. I let my head roll back and I stared at the ceiling before facing the boys again.

"Can I tell you guys something?"

They nodded, so intrigued that I'd ask to tell them something that they stayed quiet.

I took a deep breath. "My uh, old best friend, Joey. We were best friends since we were about three years old. We were inseparable and we were typical best friends, you know; always together, we spent all our free time with each other, our families went on holiday together, we'd share secrets and have sleepovers and share clothes and all that stuff."

She looked down at her fingers as she played with them.

"He was perfect. He was closer to me than anyone, even my own family. I never saw him as boyfriend material though. When we said we loved each other, it was in a best friend way."

"I got a boyfriend. Mark. This was like, a year ago. He was lovely. I really loved him and he loved me back. At school one day, I got, um, teased by some of the girls. I came home crying and Joey found me. He'd never liked Mark. I don't know why.. he just didn't." she sighed quietly.

"I guess he thought it was Mark who upset me because he stormed out and didn't come back 'till late. I was worried out of my mind and when he came back he was in a horrible mood. I'd never seen him like this. It was like anger and violence was all he knew. I was angry at him for hurting Mark and he turned on me. I watched as my best friend transformed into this violent... psycopath." Tears were rolling down her cheeks as she clenched her shirt in angry sadness.

"That night he turned on me. But he didn't mean to. It was anger. He wasn't thinking straight. He picked up a kitchen knife and told me to leave but I didn't. I wanted to help."

I paused momentarily and argued with myself in my mind, before pulling my top up slightly to expose an area of skin just above my hip.

Right there was a thick red scar that lay prominent against my pale skin. It was about an inch and a half long, and around the scar were fading bruises, that were old and difficult to heal. I saw flickers of sadness and shock in the boys eyes as I continued.

"Maybe this... maybe Luke didn't think straight, maybe his mind was cloudy, I don't know." I put my shirt back down and carried on. "I just... I mean I don't know what to think. I guess I always end up with people who don't think properly."

I still ached slightly a few hours later when Harry ran me a hot bath and told me he was going out to get a takeaway for dinner. He took Louis and Niall and the other two boys stayed home to watch TV but also to keep an eye on me. The warm water soothed my muscles and I would've drifted away once more had I not heard Harry come through the door with a Chinese takeaway, which I was so promised yesterday with Luke. Even in this dreadful state I'd still leap out of the bath for Chinese.

***

A gentle breeze blew through my hair. I sat on the edge, dangling my feet over. I squeezed the hand that was gripping mine.

"I love it up here." murmured a gentle voice. Joey.

"I love it too. It's so beautiful." I replied.

I looked down at the grassy cliff we sat on, then down to the beach below. The soft waves lapped up against the rocks and the sea was calm. The sky was a perfect shade of blue and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. It was like a fairytale. Or a movie.

Or a dream.

I looked over to my right, thinking I'd find Joey.

Wrong.

I did find Joey, but not my Joey.

I found the Joey that stabbed me.

I looked into his eyes. No longer the beautiful hazel that they used to be, more of a dark brown with now heavily bloodshot eyes. 

"Where are you? 

 No reply.

"Where's the Joey I knew? He's still there. I can feel it." I tried again.

The boy turned his head towards me. 

"No."

I stood up, pulling him up with me.

"Yes. You're there. Please Joey, please..."

"I said no." he scowled.

"Joey! Look," I turned to him angrily, "stop being such an idiot! Where's the you that I used to know!? The one that would sneak over to my house at midnight or have whipped cream fights with me?"

I changed my tactics after I was ignored again.

"Please..." I whispered, taking his hands in mine and looking straight into his eyes. The sparkle was gone and they were dull. His smile was gone and it was replaced with an emotionless straight face. I tried to plead with my eyes and voice. "Please come back to me."

"NO!" he yelled angrily before ripping his hands away from mine. He glared at me for a second before pushing his hands to my chest. Only then did I realise where I was.

On the edge of a cliff.

"JOEY NO!" I cried.

I screamed as I fell.

Down,

Down,

Down.