The Consequences (July 1920)

Start from the beginning

"Have a seat," Mrs. Hughes offered and asked, "What happened, Thomas?"

Thomas reluctantly looked at Mrs. Hughes. The housekeeper sat across from him, and from experience, most people were terrible to him once they learned the truth.

"I've done something foolish," Thomas explained, sniffling.

"I'd like to judge that for myself."

"You see, Mrs. Hughes, I'm not like the others," he nervously played with his hands, his eyes fixed on the painted pictures of his daughter. Almost every single one featured the dog – from the phase when she desperately wanted one of her own.

"She has spent many hours here keeping herself occupied," Mrs. Hughes confirmed, "But this is not about Emma right now, it's about you, Thomas."

"My foolish actions unfortunately have a negative impact on Emma's future," Thomas took a deep breath before looking at the housekeeper, "Mrs. Hughes, I'm different. I like... you know... not women" he stammered.

"But that doesn't shock or disgust me."

"If you knew what I've done," Thomas took another deep breath, "I thought Jimmy would like me."

"But he doesn't?"

"I was wrong. I was a fool."

"How do you know he doesn't like you?"

"I kissed him," it spilled out of him, "He was asleep. I snuck into his room," and he buried his head in his hands.

"James was not pleased, huh? What were you thinking?"

"I wasn't thinking at all, Mrs. Hughes. That's the problem," Thomas explained desperately, "Alfred caught us, and Mr. Carson was told. I was supposed to resign quietly and get a good reference. After all, Bates is back."

"That sounds like a reasonable compromise to me."

"Jimmy insists that Mr. Carson gives him a bad reference, or he'll go to the police. Have me arrested and create a scandal." Thomas had managed to shock Mrs. Hughes. She looked at him with wide, shocked eyes, yet he doubted she fully grasped the severity of the situation.

"I'll never find another job, Mrs. Hughes! I've worked here for 10 years. Without a reference, I'd be forced to live on the street or in a workhouse. Her future would be ruined, and in the worst case, we'd be permanently separated." His daughter would have to forgo education and beg on the roadside, while he himself would have to work for a pittance. The payment at the end of the day would be a more or less secure place to sleep and a more or less warm meal.

"I highly doubt Mr. Carson will be blackmailed like that."

"He won't help me. He despises me and would rather watch me get whipped."

"Thomas," Mrs. Hughes said, "Mr. Carson will help you because we can't let James' behavior go unchecked," her gaze now drifted to the painted pictures, "And I won't allow Emma to end up in a workhouse. Which means you won't end up in one either. We'll find a solution."

"Mister Carson would surely be pleased because people like me belong there, don't they?"

"That's not true."

They were silent for a moment.

"Does Emma know the truth?"

Thomas nodded.

"How did she react?"

For the first time, Thomas's sad expression disappeared. "She can't understand why I'm not allowed to love freely, and if she were the Prime Minister, she would want to change the law immediately."