Chapter 9

~Vanessa~

We shifted and took off into the forest, ducking under logs and rocks as we made our way to Alpha Jeremy's territory. I found out this meeting between them is about their attack plan for Black Thorn and what Jeremy will do with Veloces. He said he won't kill him, but punish him. My father assured me that he wouldn't deliver an unjust punishment, but I was still a little reluctant to agree with my father on it.

As we ran past Black Thorn I watched it, my heart hurting at the memory of Veloces looking so broken. I shook my head, I can't feel guilty for leaving him. He deserves it. We crossed the borders and continued running until we reached the packhouse, shifting back into our human forms. Alpha Jeremy greeted us outside, along with Olivia's mother, Tiffany.

She was tall, but shorter than my mother. She had long blonde hair and hazel eyes, she was pretty but not as pretty as she thinks she is. I forced a smile, already disliking her. She acted as if she was a queen and even started to flirt with my father. I growled at her, causing her to look at me with shock.

"He has a mate, Luna." I snapped. "Unless you don't want us to help you, back off."

She swallowed, looking at me with annoyance mixed with a little fear. I smirked at the fear; Jeremy gently grabbed her waist and pulled her towards him. He flashed her an annoyed glare.

"I'll make sure she keeps her hands off of your father." he said.

"Thank you." my father breathed out, glaring at the she-wolf.

I smiled, I know my father will never cheat on my mother but I still don't want an unwanted she-wolf touching him like she was. It's gross when you're his daughter and you're seeing it. We walked inside where I was tackled into a hug by Olivia. I laughed as we parted.

As they walked off to their meeting Olivia and I walked up to her room. I laughed when she told me about her friend finding his mate and knocking her into the lake. They're together now, but it wasn't the best way he planned on meeting his mate.

"So, your father actually agreed to let me hang out with you?" I asked, relaxing on her bed.

She nodded, "Yeah, he's not the nicest Alpha there is. I was shocked when he did let you."

"Not the nicest?"

"Nope, he's very cruel. Worse than Veloces himself. You should hear the things he's going to do to him."

"What?"

She paled, "I can't tell you, I've already said too much."

"Olivia, tell me. I need to know."

"Why?"

"Veloces...he's...special...in a...um-

"He's your mate." she stated, giving me her I-know-don't-lie look.

I sighed, "Yes, he's my mate."

"Fine, only because I hate my father and you're my friend." she quickly closed her door before running back. "He's going to abuse him just like his father did when he was younger."

"Who's father?"

"Veloces'."

"Veloces was abused?"

She nodded, "That's why he's the way he is today. He wasn't raised to love, he forgets his mother's love and doesn't know how to love. He knows to only deliver pain, he's had a horrible life. His first mate tried killing him, so he killed her in order to defend himself. She was angry at him for kicking her mother out of the pack, so she used their mate-bond to get to him. I'm guessing you think he murdered her because he can?"

"I..." I trailed off.

I didn't know any of this and I didn't give him the time to tell me. I ran my hand through my hair, how could have I been so rude? I didn't try to figure out why he abused me and why he hated that it did do it. Why he got so upset when I said he was a monster and why Clayton and Christine wanted me to spend time with him. They wanted me to get him to spill, to tell me all about his past. Yet, I pushed him away and left him. Convincing myself that I hated him because I didn't want to give him the time of day to find out what his issue was.

Guilt flooded me, I screwed up my relationship with him when I could have helped him. Instead, I was being selfish and decided to leave. Saying that my second chance mate will be better.

"Olivia, I screwed up." I whispered.

She furrowed her eyebrows, "What do you mean?"

"I rejected Veloces."

"What? Why?"

"He abused me and I didn't try to figure out why. I convinced myself that I hated his guts and left. I thought my second chance mate will be better."

"Is he?"

"I don't know, haven't met him yet and I don't think I want to. Damn it, I'm such an idiot."

"No, you were scared and did what you thought would be right. Abuse isn't just something you can pretend never happened. As werewolves, we can handle abuse better than a human, but it does still scar us. Veloces is perfect proof of that. He just needs to be fixed a little. Once he's fixed and learns to love, you never know, he may actually be the best mate to have. All you have to do, is pick up the pieces and put them back together. Teach him how to love and get him to open up." she said, smiling.

"Thanks." I grinned.

"Welcome, oh and Vanessa?"

"Yeah?"

"You need to protect him from my father. He'll hurt him...badly."

"I will."

She nodded, "Good."

That afternoon we left and headed back home, my mind going crazy with the information Olivia gave me. The minute I got back into my territory I made the decision to run back into Black Thorn territory. I mind-linked my dad that I need to tell Christine. I need to warn Veloces.

Author's note: I feel like something is missing...like I could add a chapter in between 7 and 8 or 8 and 9...I don't know though.