chapter 46: The Mournful

Keith Peterson

May 15th,  Friday 2015

There are three stages of breakup for the male species.

Stage 1: Happiness 

I actually felt relieved after Audrey left me. That guilt stomach I've been feeling for months finally  disappeared. It was so refreshing to finally not worry constantly. Although, I did loose the bet, Tyler and Harris did cheat. We decided to call it a deuce since me and my friends wanted nothing to do with them anymore. Even though I regret this bet everyday, it was a good learning experience. I figured out who I am because of Audrey. I realized what I wanted to do in college instead of being a football player my whole life. I wanted to be a coach. Yes, I still wanted to be involved in the sports field, but it's my whole life; I'm very experienced. But, I wanted to teach people, and I wasn't good at school subjects, and I loved football, it all matched. I was happier with myself.

Stage 2: Realization

In celebration for me being single, Conrad threw a party in his house. I remember sitting at a table and watching couples make out on the couch, but one of them wasn't. It was a girl who was a little underdressed to be popular, I'm guessing this was her first party because her friend forced her to go; and the boy talking to her was a jock, and I can tell her is starting to like her. How cliche. They were just talking and making each other laugh; boy, was I jealous. I missed that feeling. 

I stared at a bottle of Vodka next to me. I promised myself I wouldn't get drunk anymore after I yelled at Audrey the night I first talked to her. Before I knew what I was doing, I drank the whole bottle. All I remember was that I was wasted. I threw up a few times, danced with multiple girls, and drank even more. None of my friends noticed because they were all too drunk to care.

Around 3am, I woke up with a girl next to me in bed. We were both naked. I saw a condom, and I realized what I've done. For a split second I thought the girl next to me was Audrey Hayes, but when I blinked a few times gaining normal vision, I saw it was Katherine. I couldn't believe I gave myself into her, when all she did was nag and push me to be someone I wasn't. I snuck out that morning and went to Conrad's kitchen and took advil, and left. I was ashamed of myself, but I don't remember anything. Everything was just a blur.

Stage 3: Mourning 

I skipped two days of school. I just couldn't walk into school. Every one knew what happened. (Not the bet, but they knew I made Audrey cry in the mist of the break up, and how wasted I was at Conrad's party). I didn't eat for 2 days, but drank beer and vodka. 

On the first day, I drank more than 3 cans of beer. I don't remember what I did, but when I woke up I saw Faith's letters all burnt. I drank even more after because I was angry at myself for burning one of the only memories of my dead sister. 

On the second day, I got a text from Jake telling me that coach was angry I missed practice. I drank almost a whole bottle of vodka, and I dragged myself out of my house, and went to practice early. Coach wasn't there, but I did see Tyler. In my eyes everything was blurry except for that bastard. I couldn't think because the truth serum I drank hated him. I punched him. I broke another promise to myself, that I wouldn't punch anyone after Principal Superior warned me if I picked a fight with one more person I would surely be expelled. Graduation was less than a month away, and I was ruining my record. I was only able to give one punch in the jaw before Jake pulled me off and scolded me. Coach came and questioned what was going on, and, thankfully, Tyler lied telling him he bruised his jaw when he fell at home. Coach just nodded his head not caring. Tyler thought he repayed me, but nothing could ever repay me for what he've done.