chapter 41: The Loyalties

Audrey Hayes

April 20th, Monday 2015

"I hate our school lunch,"  Stevie took a large bit out of the school sandwich.

I swear the lunches at school get worse and worse each day. I stared at my sandwich and it was a piece of lettuce and chicken stuck between brown bread. I poked the bread. Is bread supposed to be this hard? I looked at Stevie who was dramatically gagging after eating her sandwich and tossed it in the trash. I looked down on my sandwich, and without hesitation, I pushed it away from me. 

"Ew," Jake pulled a piece of hair out of his macaroni and cheese.

I was going to throw up. In sync, the rest of our table pushed their lunch away from them, except Conrad, who was smart enough to bring his own lunch. He had three peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (I'm not sure why), a water bottle, a jar of peanut butter, and two apples. He insists that'll help him grow bigger and buffer.

"I'm not sharing my lunch," Conrad pulled his lunch closer to him.

"Please," Stevie begged and used her convincing puppy face.

"Only for you," Conrad sighed and handed her a sandwich, "No one else."

Of course, Conrad would give his lunch to Stevie. These past few days I've been hinting at Stevie that Conrad likes her. She always just winked at me, and shrugged. I bet they were secretly dating, but she refuses to tell me anything. I even brought the idea up to Keith and he told me that Conrad won't mention any hints either. 

We all groaned at him, but Keith being sneaky, stole one of his sandwiches and split in half with me. I smirked and took a big bite from it practically starving. Boyfriends can be handy at times like these. I savored the taste and moaned in my mouth. I haven't had a decent lunch in months. Conrad makes his own sandwiches. It wasn't the best one in the world, but anything was better than the school lunches. He put more jelly than peanut butter, so it was a little soggy, but I'm not complaining. I am forever in his debt.

"I'm going to go the vending machines and see if I can find someone to buy a bag of chips for me because I don't have a dollar," Keith got up from his seat.

"Says the one with an iPhone 6 and drives a Mustang," Stevie scoffed.

"Hey," he pointed at her and smiled, "Shut up."

I laughed and waved him goodbye. I wasn't really the type of person who did a public display of affection (PDA). All of high school I had to deal with people making out against the lockers and shoving each other's tongue down their throats. It was uncomfortable, and I didn't want to be that couple. Once, our teacher joked that it technically wasn't illegal to have sex in school, and a bunch of people looked it up and he was right. The next day, a cheerleader and her boyfriend had sex in the janitor's closet. Why, world, why?

Speaking of sex, Britney keeps asking if me and Keith done it yet, and if we were ever planning on too. After much in depth thinking in the middle of the night staring at the ceiling, I realized I wouldn't mind loosing my virginity to him. He wasn't a bad guy, we loved each other, and he really seemed to change. He wasn't the same guy I thought he was in the beginning of the year. If you told me back then that I was to fall head over heels for Keith Peterson, I would have laughed and punched you. Last night I kept thanking Britney for her stupid science fair project that got me closer to Keith. 

I used to think love was complicated. I also thought love was a terrible thing, especially with Matt and his girlfriend. After I fell in love with Keith, I never thought that love was as difficult as it seemed. At this point, I fell for every single word he said. Everything he said was like music to my ears. He was a masterpiece; art.