are we friends?

"Yeah, I'm surprised Fundy hasn't caught you yet."
"Do I actually?"
"Yeah, sorry"
"lol sucks I guess"
"Why didn't you just wait until we were out of detention?"

Alex didn't even read the note Wilbur left, he just put his head down again, and looked out the window, seemingly distracted. Wilbur frowned, detention would be over in 45 minutes. He didn't know what to do for the remaining time. He decided to just read, as he was getting really interested in the book, he heard a small tap on the seat next to him. It was the note, Wilbur looked at the clock, 25 minutes left.
"Whatcha reading?"
"Nothing that would be interesting to you."

When Alex read the note, he looked up at Wilbur with his head slightly tilted to the side. Wilbur lightly blushed, he thought it was adorable. The way Alex's eyes looked slightly glossy, it gave Wilbur time to take in his eye color (despite them being red asf) along with all the beauty marks on Alex's face and the softness of his features. It just made Wilbur turn red. Right as he had these thought he shook his head, trying to get those ideas out of his mind. Wilbur hadn't realized he zoned out, he got the note back.

"Lmao are you calling me dumb?"
Now it was Wilbur's turn to be confused, he wrote back;

"What? No. It's jst not that interesting to someone who doesn't like reading."
"Okay fucking Shakespeare, I didn't know you were a philosopher, you nerd"
"Do you like to read?"
"No, but I'd like it if you got off yr high horse"
"LMAO WHATTT"
"omfg I just realized I have to stay an xtra 10 minutes"
"Oh, that sucks man, shldve come on time."
"Imma have to come home late and my parents r gunna whoop my ass"

Wilbur didn't write anything, there were 5 minutes of detention left, when Alex realized the note wasn't being passed back, he frowned, then laid his head back on the desk. Wilbur also frowned, he just went back to reading. After the 5 minutes were up, Mr. Fundy finally said;

"Okay, Wilbur you can go-"
Wilbur stopped him.
"Can I stay here with Alex?"
Alex looked over, he raised an eyebrow
"No, I'm sorry Wilbur, but I don't have a reason to keep you." Mr Fundy said, a bit confused.
"Oh um... okay." Wilbur packed up, and offered a wave to Alex, he waved back with a smile. Wilbur thought his face looked a little pink, like he was...blushing? But, Wilbur didn't want to look too deep into it. He got a text from his driver that read;

"Hey, Wilbur! My apologies, there was horrendous traffic on the way to your school, I will be late. I will see you at around 4:35, hope it isn't too much of an inconvenience."

Wilbur smiled, it wasn't an inconvenience at all. All that meant was; he got to hang out with Alex even longer. Wilbur waited on the front steps of the school, patiently waiting for Alex to come out, when he finally did, Wilbur couldn't help himself from smiling ear to ear, grinning like an idiot. Alex chuckled,

"Damn bitch, who got you smiling like that?"
"oh! Nothing, haha, I just got... a really funny text."
"Mkay, blud. Wasn't your fancy driver supposed to be here by now?"
"Nah, there was traffic. Downside of living in the country."
"Yeah, but you still live in a big ass mansion on a big piece of land with like horses n stuff."
"Horses?"
"Yea, don't rich people own horses?"
Wilbur laughed.
"No, not all rich people." He said through giggles. Alex smiled. He was happy he made Wilbur laugh, he sat next to Wilbur on the stairs. Very close. Their thighs were touching.

Wilbur's face turned redder than it had ever been before. He didn't know why. He truly didn't. Something about looking into Alex's eyes just made his heart swell (again, despite them being red and irritated) The way Alex spoke made Wilbur melt, he may have been high, but he still had as much charm as ever. The only difference was; his speech was slow and lazy, and he didn't smell as nice as he usually did. They sat and talked for a few minutes. Wilbur stuttered through all of his words, he was flustered, but refused to admit it. Alex didn't seem to notice, he looked a little red, himself.

The cold summer air was very refreshing to the two men. It smelled like the end of August, beginning of September, which would make sense, since that was what time of year it was. They started to talk about what they wanted to do after High School, Wilbur found they had something in common, neither of them were excited for life after High school.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure I want to be a lawyer, but my grades haven't been showing that I can make it into law school." Alex said with a sigh.
"Oh really?"
"Yeah, they're decent, the lowest grade I have right now is a C-, which isn't bad, but like- to get a scholarship for the school I want to get into, I need to have all As and Bs. I need a scholarship, I can't afford to go to college" When Wilbur heard this, he felt a wave of sadness fall over him. Along with gratefulness. He was grateful that he didn't have to worry about the price of school. He was sad when he remembered there were many people that wouldn't get to go to college because of how over-priced it is to go. Alex seemed to have read his mind.

"You don't gotta worry about that, do ya?"
"No. No, I don't."
"You're lucky as hell. I had to take 2 weeks off work so I could come to detention. My job starts at 4:20, literally exactly when detention ends, I'd be late every day. Which would definitely get me fired. I just decided to take time off."
"Oh? Where do you work?"
"I work at the coffee shop close to here, and I work at the convenient store on the weekends. And, every once in a while I do babysitting."
"Three jobs, huh? Hope you don't babysit when you're high" Wilbur said in a joking manner.
"Okay, asshole, I'm not that stupid" Alex laughed and playfully hit Wilbur on the arm.
When Wilbur's driver pulled up, Wilbur frowned, he didn't want to leave yet. However, he picked himself up, and looked at Alex,
"Do you think we can be classified as 'friends' now?"
Alex smiled, then replied
"Yeah. Yeah, I guess we can be."
Wilbur smiled back, waved to Alex, then got in his car, ready to get home.
But, as he was leaving, Wilbur noticed a look of worry on Alex's face.