Finding Courage

Maggie was sure she would faint before the police would finally take her off hold. She knew she should have called the emergency number. But then what would they say? Oh, your teenage niece and nephew snuck out of the house on Halloween. Why we'll get every officer we can muster into a search party right away.

Still, it would have gotten her through to someone quicker. She was wasting time. Anything could be happening to them out there. Or one specific thing.

Anxiety had always been an issue for Maggie ever since.... but this was the worst it had ever been. She couldn't feel anything but the churn of her stomach. Her chest was tight, and she felt simultaneously the desperate need to get out and do something with a crippling fear to move from the spot.

If her call didn't get through soon, then it would be an ambulance she needed, not the police.

Suddenly, the soft music coming from the phone died away, and an actual person began to speak.

"You've reached the Winter Green police station," said the familiar voice, "Officer Samual Berk speaking, how can I help you?"

"Sam," said Maggie a little too quickly, "Sam, It's Maggie...."

"Oh, hi, Mags," said Sam, "How are you?"

"Not great, Sam," said Maggie.

"Is it those kids again?" said Sam, "They always get bolder on Halloween. I'll send a car round to corral them up, and we'll get them to clean off whatever they've written."

"No, no one's written anything on my house," said Maggie, "Or maybe they have, I haven't checked. I'm calling because Sara and Ben are missing."

"Who?" asked Sam.

"My Niece and Nephew," said Maggie.

"Oh yeah, Ricki's kids," said Sam, "I was sorry to hear about that. Nasty business, wasn't it. I mean, you would never think he would..."

Maggie swallowed back a sob.

"Sam!" she interrupted.

"Oh, sorry, of course," said Sam, "When did you last see them?"

Maggie looked over at the clock. It was just striking nine.

"About four hours ago," said Maggie, "They slipped out their bedroom windows and ran off."

"They ran away?" asked Sam, "You saw them leave?"

Maggie took a deep breath.

"Yes," she said.

"Didn't you go after them?" asked Sam.

"I... I tried but..."

"Oh," said Sam, "Yeah, sorry, of course. Do you know why they might have run off?"

Maggie could feel the tears beginning to well up. She was trying hard not to let it come across in her voice, but she had a strong suspicion that she was failing.

"Me and Sara had an argument," said Maggie, "It got tense and... just with everything that happened and ...."

Maggie's voice wavered into another sob.

"Hey," said Sam, "Don't worry, I ... I understand. Look, you know how teenagers can get. She probably just went to let off some steam and took her brother along. I'm sure she's already bored by now and on her way back."

Maggie wanted to believe that, but she couldn't help but think of an alternative. The image of Sara and Ben near the Manor was inescapable.

"I just... I really would like to get them home safe," said Maggie.