Why? ⚝ Chapter 10

If Steve wasn't in shock before, he was now. He was in a daze the whole time Virginia was sneaking them out of the Prison truck. And before he knew what was happening, he was walking free into an abandoned Dam.

He didn't even know how he got there. Virginia's hands were covered in blood from holding Natasha's wound trying to prevent her from bleeding out.

"She's lost at least a pint," Virginia says to a woman who walks into the room."

"Maybe two," Sam added,

"Who's this guy?" The woman asked, looking between Steve and Virginia, referring to Sam.

"Sam Wilson, one of my patients," Virginia said, referring to how Sam knew who she was in the truck earlier. "Let me take her."

"She'll want to see him first.'

"Right," Virginia nodded, "Sam, This is Maria Hill; Commander Maria Hill. Hill, this is Sam."

Maria Hill and Virginia lead a scared Sam, wounded Natasha, and dazed Steve through the abandoned dam where they are met by a curtain that Maria Hill pulled open for them all.

"About damn time." A strangely and unforgettable familiar voice said. Virginia instructed Natasha to sit on a table so she could close the gunshot wound. "Lacerated spinal column, cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, one hell of a headache." Nicky Fury said listing off what he had gained - or lost when he was 'killed'.

"Oh Nick, Don't forget your collapsed lung." Virginia pipped in

"Oh, let's not forget that. Otherwise, I'm good." He said sarcastically Virginia rolled her eyes at her friend's antics.

"They cut you open, your heart stopped." Natasha interrupted as her shoulder was wrapped tightly.

"Tetrodotoxin B. Slows the pulse to one beat a minute. Banner developed it for stress. Didn't work so great for him, but we found a use for it." Virginia explained for them all especially Steve who she knew needed a little help with the modern world.

"Why all the secrecy? Why not just tell us?" Steve said, speaking for the first time since they arrived. His words were more directed to Fury than Virginia but still, she had lied too. She used to never be able to lie to Bucky or him.

Bucky. He is not dead. Had Fury and Virginia known this? How could they - he had not been told. And what was with Virginia playing dead? Steve had to have gone through the grieving process for both of his best friends. Alone.

"Any attempt on the director's life had to look successful." Maria Hill said finally piping into the conversation which was tempered.

"Can't kill you if you're already dead. Besides, I wasn't sure who to trust." Fury admitted with a slight smirk. His eye patch still covered his right eye though he was visibly beat up.

"This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize. He said, "Peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility." See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues." Fury told the group holding a picture of Fury in his hand that he had next to him on the side table.

"We have to stop the launch," Natasha informed Fury hoping for a plan.

"I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore." Fury pulled out another object from somewhere it was unclear. The object was a briefcase that held three bigger hard drives.

"What's that?" Sam asked, genuinely curious.

" Once the Helicarriers reach three thousand feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites becoming fully weaponized."