The highest SHIELD agent that's not a SHIELD agent ⚝ Chapter 6

April 14, 2014

As the woman typed away as the flash drive was plugged into her computer. Steve continued to look around the room curiously.

"Her name is Dr. V, she has a history with SHIELD. She and Clint helped me get used to being in America again. She is distant, but not in a bad way. She's The highest SHIELD agent that's not a SHIELD agent. She has a history that only Fury knows- knew."

"What happened to Nick?" Dr. V's voice asked as she continued to hack into the flash drive. Natasha was quite still struggling to grasp the idea that Fury was dead. As close as Natasha was to Nick Fury, Dr. V was closer. Most people weren't friendly enough with him to call him Mr. Fury, let alone Nick.

"Ms..." Steve hesitated to bring sad news to this kind young woman who was being so gentle and helpful to their efforts "Fury, was...um... shot and killed..." He finished sadly.

She hunched over slighter but continued to type away. It seemed like she was hiding something, then again, her back must have been turned for a reason,
    "Ste- I mean Captain Rogers... What are you planning to do with the information on the flash drive?" Natasha looked back and forth between us, she heard what Dr. V called him.

Steve had not.

"Someone has... secretly taken over SHIELD and we need to find out who" Dr. V gave a single nod and got back to typing.

"Nine minutes." She said eventually "Then it'll give you the coordinates." The room was filled with silence beside the music. Rockin' in Rhythm. Growing up, Steve, Bucky, and most of all Virginia loved it. It became Virginia's comfort music. As much as the trio had loved it Virginia would choose it out of hundreds of Records.

"New Jersey," She said, "But STRIKE's outside. You should leave through the Window,"

"The... Window..?" Steve asked. The woman nodded and looked sideways, but he still couldn't see her face.

"Yes, the window, Rogers. Got a problem with that?"

He could now see she wore glasses. Her lips were a bright red. Something about her sparked his interest, almost like he already knew her. But there was no way he could. He didn't know anybody with the V as an initial... except or... Virginia. But she was dead....  like bucky,

"We can leave through the doors, thanks Doc," Natasha butted in

"Anytime agent," Dr. V turned in her chair enough to hand the drive to Natasha but not enough to have her face seen. "Bye, Romanoff and Stevie." Natasha was already closing the door when Steve heard Dr. V call him 'Stevie'.

Only one person had ever called him Stevie

But she was gone

Or was she

"Virginia?" he called as the door shut. No answer rang in his ears

"Look I love that you are so attached to the doctor, but we need to get going before we become items of what remains of SHIELD." Natasha dragged Steve back through the glass doors of the office. "We will need a car-"

"I can get us one," Steve grumbled with a new tone of irritation in his voice. Steve and Natasha slipped through the quiet building sneaking around the STRIKE team.

Soon they reached the parking lot. Steve started hot-wiring a car. He was still irritated. But he didn't know why. Was he mad at himself for not realizing she was alive? Was he mad at her for not finding him? Was he mad at Natasha for bringing him there?

Before Steve could hardly blink he was on the highway to New Jersey. Natasha had her legs perched on the dashboard.

"How do you know her?" He finally broke the silence not even the radio could.

"I could ask you the same"

"Romanoff," Steve warned.

"Dr. V and Clint helped me get out of an organization that controls people. She helped me more than anybody could imagine. Now answer."

Steve sighed "I used to know her... I think... It's complicated"

It truly was complicated, She was dead... but alive? Or was she actually dead? Was she undead? There were so many what-ifs for Steve to ponder before he could sleep.

"Well, that's not a lot of information," Natasha grumbled. Steve sighed and rolled his eyes at his teammates' snarky response.

" If she is who I think she is, then her name is Dr. Virginia Miller. She was a nurse in WW2. Died in action... well maybe not. But she was my best friend."

"They can't be friends. Unless both of them are involved with other people, then they can... This is an amendment to the earlier rule. If the two people are in a relationship, the pressure of possible involvement is lifted... That doesn't work either, because what happens then is, the person you're involved with can't understand why you need to be friends with the person you're just friends with. It means something is missing from the relationship and why do you have to go outside to get it? And when you say "No, no, no it's not true, nothing is missing from the relationship," the person you're involved with then accuses you of being secretly attracted to the person you're just friends with, which you probably are. I mean, come on, who the hell are we kidding, let's face it. This brings us back to the earlier rule before the amendment, which is that men and women can't be friends."

"Either you already figured out my love life or that is a quote from some famous movie that I don't get." Steve chuckled in a lonesome effort to hide his embarrassment.

"Dear god Steve, you've never seen When Harry Met Sally?" Natasha laughed. Steve chuckled along with her and shook his head.  "Well, then, next time we are at the compound, we will need to have another movie night." 

Steve Groaned

"Please, no, not again" Steve chuckled with a glint of amusement in his eyes. Natasha laughed at the slightly snarky remark.

"Anyway, was I right? Were you more than just friends?"

"I mean, I liked her more than a friend, but to know Ginny is to love her. We lived together with another close friend. We both loved Ginny, but she never loved us like that."

"I beg to differ, she called you 'Stevie' and you call her 'Ginny', you aren't just friends."

"She called our other friend 'Jamie'-" Steve started to point out.

"Aww, Stevie, Jamie and Ginny. Cute" Natasha teased. "Tell me about this... Jamie."

"His name was James, but everyone called him Bucky. It's short for his middle name, Buchanan."

"Everybody but Virginia."

"Everybody but me and Virginia. I called him Buck. He was drafted into the 107th in 1943... I think. He had a younger sister named Rebecca, and parents who died when he was in camp. Winnifred and Gorege Barnes. But he was a lady's fella." Steve smiled at the good memories of Bucky "When I picked fights, he would always get me out of them. Sometimes it even meant he would get hurt. And Virginia would help take care of any bruises or cuts until she went to school."

"I could never picture you struggling to win a fight or getting beat up," Natasha remarked.

"Yeah, well a lot has changed." Steve chuckled "Feet off the dashboard."

"What why? We stole a car."

"We are borrowing it."

"Where did Captain America learn to hotwire a car anyway?"

"Nazi Germany."

"Oh of course." Natasha laughed. Steve chuckled.

Steven Rogers had not been this happy in a long time. His best friend was still alive. Had new friends or at the very least people he could trust and rely on.