thirteenth

Danbi was walking down the street, surrounded by a quietness not even the sough of the wind dared fill. And through such silence, the crunch of leaves immediately seized her attention.

Her head jerked behind, her eyes widening slightly. She thought she was the only one there, so it was surprising to see someone also walking behind her, suddenly.

She continued with her paced walking as she didn't feel they posed a threat. However, a louder crunch made her stop in her tracks. She let her suspicion get the best of her, peeking behind her to check the position of the person.

A gasp left her lips as she noticed them walking fast her way. With a pounding heart, she took on running, her whole body filling with adrenaline. 

"What do you want from me?!" She yelled as she ran, her body fueled by terror as she noticed the person was right behind her. 

She speeded up with a scream, her eyes tearing up as she was just about to get caught. The area seemed to be getting darker and more unfamiliar, leaving her feeling hopeless. 

She took an abrupt turn to lose their tracks, bumping with great force into something - or someone. 

"Bi?" 

She raised her watery eyes and wiped them, recognizing the voice but unable to see them clearly. "J-Junkyu?" 

"Are you okay? What happened?"

Danbi shook her head. She clutched onto his shirt, pulling him close. She peeked behind, shocked not to see the person anymore. "We- we have to go. There was someone there. Someone was chasing me, Junkyu-" Her tongue numbed as she turned back to him. 

Junkyu was staring down at her - with red eyes.

"Junkyu..." She could barely voice.

With just a small smile to warn her of his intentions, he gripped her arms firmly, aiming for her neck.

"Ah!" 

Danbi's eyes shot open, her body frozen in fear. She could not immediately adjust to her surroundings, but the soft material of her blanket helped her get a grip on where she was. 

Panting heavily, sweat breaking free from her pores, she let out a laugh of disbelief. "It was a dream?"

---

With light rain and dense clouds barriering the Sun, Saturday seemed like a better day to stay indoors, so Danbi, Jihoon, and Jeongwoo weren't sure how to bring up the idea of going out.

"Mom, um," Danbi put her fork aside. "Hyunsuk invited us over to his house."

Mrs. Park's eyes wandered out the window, her nose scrunching in distaste. "Is it a party again?"

"No, but, it's a sleepover. We won't stay up late watching movies again, though, don't worry." Danbi reassured her.

"Who's coming?"

"Um, us, Hyunsuk, Doyoung, Junkyu..." Danbi trailed off.

"And a friend of mine. Actually two," Jeongwoo added. "A girl and a boy. They're very nice, Auntie."

"Alright," Mrs. Park sighed. "But you girls are sleeping in another room, right?"

"Yes. We're sleeping in Hyunsuk's guest room probably." Danbi reassured her.

"Alright. Honey?" Mrs. Park suddenly pulled her husband into the conversation. "Can you drive them there?"

"Me?" Mr. Park questioned, a little confused.