the hypocrisy of being in love with a thief

Summary:
When Enid's noise-cancelling headphones go missing right when she needs them the most, she is furious. She quickly changes her mind when she finds out who took them.

Enid Sinclair didn't get angry easily but when she did, she was absolutely furious. Right now was one of those moments. It had been a really long week and all she wanted was to relax in her dorm with some music and waste away a few hours doing nothing, just to escape from everything for a while. She had been thinking about it all day.

Those plans were shattered when she actually reached the room she shared with Wednesday and almost immediately noticed that her headphones were not on her desk, where she had left them early that morning, when the sun was still hidden behind the horizon and she had to leave her comfortable bed to go to class. She spent a few minutes looking around her admittedly messy half of the room, trying to convince herself that she had just misplaced them, but they were well and truly gone.

She tried to keep a clear head and to think like Wednesday. After all, her roomie had solved cases before, thinking like her might help Enid figure out this mystery, as well. So, she retraced her steps, noticing that the window was open and the door hadn't been locked. She didn't really know what that could tell her that she didn't already know – that someone had taken her headphones out of the room – but she still thought it was a good start.

She would have just asked Wednesday or Thing for help but neither was around so she would have to solve this on her own, starting by making a list of subjects. The main issue with that was that she was too angry to focus, so much so that it took an embarrassingly long time to think of just going to the Quad where most people would be at the time. Surely, she would find the thief there. And then she could get her stuff back and make sure no one ever touched it without her permission again.

The walk – or, rather, run – to the Quad passed by in a blur. She was vaguely aware of some people staring at her, not used to the rage radiating off of her in waves, but she didn't care. She just wanted her bright pink noise cancelling headphones so she could finally listen to her music and block out everything else and maybe even take a nice long nap. She could deal with the consequences later, when she didn't feel so worn out.

The Quad might have been full of people or it might have been completely empty aside from some of her friends, Enid really couldn't tell, too distracted by the rage filling every corner of her mind. She was distantly aware of her claws slicing into her own palms and of her fangs painfully pressing into her lip, filling her mouth with the taste of iron. She couldn't find it in herself to care.

She also knew that her voice was rougher than normal, and that she was closer to growling than to actually speaking, something she would surely be embarrassed by once she came back to herself. For now, all that mattered was getting her headphones back, preferably soon and without seriously harming anyone, except maybe for whoever had taken them. She just had some trouble making that clear to the people around her.

"Once I figure out which of you assholes took my fucking headphones, I will literally rip your head off! Give them back to me right now or so god hel–"

She could and most likely would have gone on screaming like this for hours if she hadn't spotted her headphones in that moment, in the last place anyone would have looked for them. Their bright pink colours stood out against the black of Wednesday's jacket like a sore thumb where the headphones hung around her neck and the contrast as well as the strangeness of this image drew everyone's eyes immediately, Enid being one of the last to notice.

"I took them. Or rather, Thing did it for me. I apologize, I thought he had asked for permission or at the very least left a note."

Her voice was quiet, much quieter than Enid had been, but everyone had gone completely silent as soon as she showed up so it was still easy to understand her, even if she was nearly whispering. Enid vaguely noticed people leaning in to understand what she was saying but decided to let it go, all her anger leaving her and immediately being replaced with a strange mix of joy at seeing Wednesday and how adorable she looked with the headphones and worry because she had needed them in the first place.