Even at Her Worst

Summary:

When Wednesday is sick Enid realizes just how much she means to her.

The death glare Enid was receiving through the mirror in front of her was enough to make any sane person drop what they were doing and run for their life. Enid no longer considered herself a sane person. Sanity was boring anyway. She clearly led a new life of daring, evident by the fact that she had mustered up the courage to pull burrs from Wednesday Addams's hair.

"Wednesday! Stop moving. This will go a whole lot quicker if you just would stay still," she set the brush she was using aside, her fingers catching onto another burr. Wednesday took a large step to the left in response, Enid grabbing her shoulders and repositioning her. She untangled the burr from the other girl's thick black hair.

As much as Enid had hoped Wednesday's fixation with the forest surrounding Nevermore would subside now that, well, Tyler was in custody, Wednesday still frequently lurked around in the woods, probably getting into things Enid didn't want to know about. Enid removed the burr from her roommate's hair, smoothing her fingers through it once she was done, "alright, one last one I think - Wednesday," she repositioned the other girl again, Wednesday glaring intensely at the mirror, knowing Enid could see it.

They could touch each other now. They weren't hugging each other all the time, or anything. Wednesday would never stand for that. But a gentle touch on Enid's shoulder every now and then went a long way. A hand slipped into hers after a hard day. A kick to the shins when she was being annoying on purpose.

And now, for Wednesday, two firm hands keeping her still while Enid tugged fucking burrs from her hair.

"How did this even happen?" Enid asked, brushing through the other girl's hair now that all of the burrs were out.

"I tripped and fell while I was running in the forest," Wednesday said, Enid starting to rebraid her hair.

"Why were you running?"

"I thought there was something there with me."

"Was there?" Enid finished with one braid, starting on the second.

"Yes... it was Xavier. Going into the woods to paint." Enid laughed, looking Wednesday over from head to toe after finishing with the second braid,

"Alright. No more burrs. You're welcome," she let Wednesday go, the girl immediately going to her desk to fetch Thing, who was reading one of Enid's magazines, turning around after thinking for a second,

"Thank you."

"Once again, you're welcome," Enid watched her grab a bag from under her desk and head toward the door, "where're you going? Wherever it is better not have any more burrs. If this happens again you're on your own, Willa." That wasn't true, Enid would help her take burrs out of her hair a million times. She'd only said it to see the flicker of amusement that briefly graced Wednesday's features. She considered herself an expert in reading her friend now.

"I'm going to check on the bees."

"Doesn't Eugene usually do it at night?" Enid asked, laying down in her bed and glancing out the window at the dark sky.

"Yes. He's been sick for a few days though. So I'm doing it for him." Enid nodded, watching her go. She was just glad she wasn't out trying to bait her stalker again. Not that Enid also hadn't spent several sleepless nights after a particularly disturbing text that Wednesday showed her. But purposefully baiting whoever it was didn't seem like the best route to take.