Chapter 4; Welcome!

Start from the beginning

"I see that you get the best compliments from anyone you've ever worked with." Tullius said.

"Oh, yes, all I do is treat everyone with respect of course." Derik said.

"Well how did you end up coming to me? I must be lucky, respect is something I really do pay attention to." Tullius said.

"Interesting, guess it was meant to be, am I right?" Derik said jokingly.

"You really have a nice sense of humor Derik, I can't find anyone better to hire in this situation." Tullius brushed off his laugh and pulled out a contract for him to sign, "Here it is, now just sign here." Tullius said.

"Perfect." Derik said. He got a pen and was about to sign the contract.

"Wait. You are going to read the information aren't you?" Tullius said.

"Don't worry about it." Derik said as he was about to sign.

"Wait, I forgot to ask you something important." Tullius stopped him.

"Go ahead! Throw me those questions." Derik said as he was getting annoyed and impatient.

"You have a 4 year gap, care to explain?" Tullius asked. Derik then paused,

"I-I do? A-h-hah! Y-yes I d-do!" Derik stuttered. Finally the scent of suspicion hit Tullius like a brick.

"Are you going to tell me why that is?" Tullius said, looking at him as if he had done something. Derik then sighed.

"Fine, this is embarrassing but I had to get out of my job to take care of my neighbors. She was an elder, she recently lost her husband and her son has died in a car crash. She also had a daughter but she is very young and now no one can take care of the two. I felt really bad and decided to be there for them. I know it is ridiculous but it is the least I can do after they welcomed me to the city." Derik said, looking upset.

"What!? I am so sorry! I got suspicious of you for a second there! Where are they now?" Tullius asked, the suspicion for him had quickly vanished and his heart for him became bigger.

"Well that elderly woman passed and, is it alright if we end this discussion?" Derik said as he started getting emotional.

"Oh yes of course, I am so sorry for asking." Tullius said. Suddenly Derik quickly changed his mood back to as it was before as if nothing happened.

"Now then, May I?" Derik said as he was smiling ready to sign the paper.

"Ah, yes, continue!" Tullius said as he watched Derik sign the contract.

"There you have it." Derik said.

"Alright then, let's welcome you to your new business!" Tullius said. Derik then started meeting the people who worked at the building, getting to know them and so on. In the meantime Adam was asleep, he usually goes to work at 7 A.M. and wakes up at 6 A.M. However it was 5:49 A.M. and he was dead asleep. He fell asleep between 3-2 A.M. last night which made it worse. Meanwhile his cat was awake and was trying to wake him up, she finally gave up and jumped out of the bed. The cat looked around for food, she was hungry. She looked everywhere in the kitchen and didn't find anything. The cat got really irritated and walked all the way back to Adam's bedroom. The cat jumped on his stomach instead of the bed and was about to do the craziest thing possible. Suddenly Adam woke up.

"Aw, hey Soda, how are you?" Adam said talking to his cat as if he didn't forget to feed the cat before he went to bed. The cat jumped off the bed and ran to the kitchen. Adam then remembered he didn't feed her. He then jumped off his bed half naked to go and feed his cat. He went to the kitchen and looked through the counters, "Looks like I need to go get groceries today, here you can have some leftover chicken I made yesterday." Adam said as he pulled out a container from his fridge. He then put it all onto Soda's bowl. "Here you go you little monster, I need to get dressed now." He said as he put the bowl on the ground. Suddenly on his way to change he noticed the living room window's curtain fully open. He ran to shut it. He also forgot to close the curtains after coming back home yesterday. He was starting to be pretty forgetful. He then went to his closet to find clothes to wear for work. He pulled out a shirt, pants, coat and a pair of socks. After getting his clothes prepared he went to take a nice cold shower. He was then done and grabbed everything he needed. It was 6:45 and he was getting ready to leave his apartment. Adam had the money to buy his dream house but he didn't want to move into a big place alone and having to clean a lot. He was fine with cleaning his tiny apartment and cooking but he couldn't do the same with a big house. It would be a lot of work. He then got into his car and drove off. His cat would usually be alone all day but he didn't mind, he would get 2 hours for a lunch break then go back to work so during that time he likes to head back home and play with his cat on the balcony. He hasn't checked his phone this morning so while there was a red light he went to check it, it was an email from his new boss.