Prince of Dragons: Chapter Forty

Comenzar desde el principio

Gods I hated my mind sometimes, and the way it went from one thing to another.

Maybe it was nothing. Maybe I was just imagining things.

After all, a lot could happen after one was brought back from death....right?

I sighed and looked at my empty cup, wondering if I should get up to get some more or not, when I heard heavy footsteps approaching. Tensing, I glanced up only to relax when I saw Narvi half-stumbling towards me, before he flopped next to me and placed his head on my shoulder.

I chuckled for a moment at his drunken display and patted the top of his head, causing him to...purr?...and nuzzle closer, his body quite warm against mine. "Are you having fun, Narvi?" I asked him, causing him to peek up at me with half-lidded, pale eyes.

"Funnnnnn," he slurred, before giggling. "Yes. Fun."

I laughed and shook my head in amusement. "I'm glad you're having some fun. Is this the first time you've ever been drunk?" I then pursed my lips. "What am I saying? This is obviously your first time drinking alcohol..."

Narvi giggled. "Sunshine. Fun. Burn, but...fun."

I raised a brow. "You call alcohol sunshine?"

Narvi shook his head and pointed to a female sun dragon who was currently handing out cups of—what I assumed was—the "sunshine" Narvi spoke of.

"She call."

"Oh, that's...that's actually kind of fun. I wonder if it's a pun for moonshine." I shook my head and smiled. I then lifted my gaze and met Alaban's from across the way. The man merely glanced at Narvi with an amused raised brow, and I shrugged my free shoulder and gave him a smile, causing the man to pause before finishing off his drink.

He then handed his empty cup to someone to take care of, and began making his way over to me, causing my heart to leap into overdrive as an immediate flush spilled over my cheeks. I averted my gaze out of nervousness and met Narvi's pale gaze as he stared at me in silence.

Wondering if he caught on to my reaction towards Alaban, my cheeks darkened even further and I began to stammer. "W-What? D-Do I have something o-on my face, or something?"

Narvi merely blinked slowly and sweetly smiled, eyes not straying from me for even a moment. "Pretty."

I was probably as red as my eyes at this point, embarrassment having a tight grip on me as I quickly averted my gaze back towards Alaban as he approached—the man seemingly on a mission as he stood before me, amber eyes intense.

"Drakell...can we...can we talk, for a moment?" He asked, before his gaze briefly fell onto Narvi. "In private? I...I won't take up too much of your time—"

"No, no, it's alright. I'll go with you." I said before I could change my mind—the nerves now vibrating throughout my entire body as I slowly pulled myself to my feet, giving Narvi time to pull away as I did so.

Feeling incredibly nervous, I followed Alaban a little into the woods, far enough where we could have a shred of privacy without being too far from the celebration. And once we were outside the view of others, I noticed that Alaban seemed...nervous. Incredibly so, as he wrung his hands together and refused to look at me for what felt like a few minutes—though I was sure it was only seconds.

When he finally looked at me, there was a strange...uncertainty in his gaze that had me wondering just what he wished to talk about. I mean...I had an inkling of what this was about...but I didn't want to get my hopes too high in case this wasn't what I thought...or hoped it was.

Alaban finally spoke, his gaze meeting mine as he steeled his reserve. "Drakell...there is something that I...I have to inform you of. No...I need to. Our journey together certainly has been...interesting, to say the least—a-and I am incredibly thankful that someone of your status would even go with someone like me. But I-I'm afraid...there has been a development." He inhaled and straightened his posture—seemingly trying to soothe his nerves. "When I first met you...I admit the circumstances were not great—and that is a time of my life I sorely regret...I never should have trusted that human. But...when I first saw you, I thought you were incredibly stubborn. Stubborn...yet at the same time, you had this boyish charm that continuously drew me towards you. Now don't be wrong...I would be a-a fool to say you were not attractive to me, because you were—are quite attractive. A-And that is what initially drew me towards you, I must admit...but on this journey, I-I came to know the real you, the one that isn't hiding behind your royal heritage. You were funny, kind, and charming, and I-I..."