Chapter 5- In The Darkness

New Eros Daily News Newsroom (Interior)
Time- 9:20 pm.

Ava and Alex were amazed as they gazed at an abandoned newsroom that resembled a shopping mall more than a newsroom. Shattered glass was strewn everywhere, the flickering lightbulbs cast eerie shadows, and many signboards hung on a single string.

"It looks more like a supermall," Ava said, with her hands on her hips.

"It's baffling how the attacker managed to clear out everyone from this newsroom, although it had multiple news sections as it sponsored many news channels."

"That's... pretty sad..."

"Let's stick to the plan for now. The source should be around here," Alex said, as she moved around. "You check the left side while I check the right."

"Alright then," Ava said, before looking at the left side of the newsroom. Throughout the search, Ava found a bunch of dishevelled folders (ideas for other news) and random relics. Why would anyone keep that in the newsroom, Ava thought. She also found a bunch of camera setups and a packet of chips.

When they met again at the centre point of the 'mall', They reported their discoveries to each other.

"I have found nothing of value." Ava sighed in frustration.

"Me too."

Suddenly they heard the noise of a machine moving. The twins were in shock.

"Did you hear that???" Alex said, in a fearful way.

"Yeah. Should we go check it out?"

"I don't believe that is our objective. It may lead us astray."

"Good point." and the twins were off to search again.

A few minutes later, Ava heard someone shout. It was Alex.

"AVA! COME HERE! IT'S IMPORTANT!"

"Ugh, what is it?"Ava sprinted to Alex before looking at what she was looking at.

"I think I found it."

Ava was in amazement, for they found the source (which looks like a notepad, but this is the future). In the title section, it was written as 'The Directive (Log 20)- Catalytical Weapon'.

"Alright! That was an easy task, wasn't it-"

Suddenly, from out of nowhere, a katana flew towards Alex. Ava quickly blocked the blade with her scythe and it disappeared into the darkness.

"-or not..."

Alex was now alert. "WHO ARE YOU? SHOW YOURSELVES! DON'T JUST HIDE IN THE DARKNESS THINKING NO ONE WILL NOTICE YOU!"

A ninja figure slowly stepped out of the darkness. The twins drew their weapons and turned to face the attacker who had caught them off guard.

"Greetings. I'm Mia Sumioshi. I'm just a regular ninja prototype representing The Directive. And you two must be Alexandria and Avaria Rei, affirmative?"

This line was spoken by a ninja who was concealed in steel armour, from head to toe. Her voice sounded formal and serious at the same time.

"Ah. So you're the one who tried an assassination attempt on me. "What exactly are you expecting from me?" Alex said, boldly.

"Affirmative. I heard that you were the one who swiped our log file and gave it to one of your companions. I'm sorry, but I had to end her suffering."

"Ah, and you're the one who killed that journalist, huh?" Alex laughed. "Admirable... I didn't see you there!"

"Let's refocus our discussion on the main topic at hand. You stole an incomplete log file that we planned to finish later. Now, in my most formal and humble manner, I'd like you to return the log file, safe and sound, in our hands."

"If you believe I took this for no reason, please go away. I won't fall silent until everyone knows about this, or I die."

"This is your second warning."

"What will happen if all my warnings are used, huh?" Alex threatened Mia.

"This is your third and final warning."

"Hmph. You annoy me." Alex said, pointing her lightsaber at Mia.

"If you want to die, I'll make it happen." Mia placed her hands behind her back before swiftly drawing two katanas. "Two swords, two opponents. It's only fair."

"Let's begin," Alex said.

The fight began with those words. Mia charged towards Alex with her katanas pointed forward. Alex leapt and landed behind Mia, aiming to strike her torso. However, Mia quickly blocked the attack with the tip of her katana held in her left hand.

"My lightsaber was supposed to..." Alex was in shock.

"My katana is made of multiple metals, which gives it the ability to withstand plasma."

Ava charged at Mia with her scythe, aiming for her head. However, Mia managed to block the attack using her other hand and simultaneously muttered a few words that made both of her katanas glow green.

"Weapon Technique: Ultimate Plunge," This caused her to disappear into thin air, leaving her suspended mid-air. When she landed, both twins fell in opposite directions.

Mia approached Ava, who was struggling to stand up. "You're brave," she said in a motherly tone. She noticed Ava's hairpin, which had returned to its original form after she fell. "So you're the current owner of the Hairpin of Chronos, huh? Well, it seems like I'm in luck. But first, I have some unfinished business to attend to, so don't move." She then moved towards Alex.

"Ugh... I didn't know that you use Weapon Techniques..." Alex somehow managed to speak.

"What is your concern about it? I am not bothered by it and neither should you be."

"Shut up."

"No, you!" Mia said, before attempting to chop off her head. But as her blade reached Alex's neck, Ava blocked it with her bare hands and threw them away.

But something's different about them. Her hands and the scratch marks were glowing.

Alex noticed an unusual behaviour and felt that something was about to occur. She managed to say a few words:-

"Ava..."

"What are you trying to do?"

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*