Chapter 3- Face-off

New Eros, The Central Hub of New Eros.
Time- 11 pm

In the towering expanse of the Central Hub, amidst the shimmering glass and steel, the highest floor housed the sanctum of the Headmaster. It was a chamber of sleek technology and austere elegance, where power and authority converged.

The Agent, bloodied and gasping for breath, knelt before the Headmaster, who stood tall, an enigmatic figure exuding an aura of commanding presence. The Agent's eyes met the unyielding gaze of the Headmaster, his expression a mix of exhaustion and defiance.

"Headmaster," the Agent spoke, his voice strained but determined. "Ava... she evaded capture. Her strength... her weapon. I couldn't apprehend her."

The Headmaster's eyes, colder than the steel surrounding them, narrowed ever so slightly. "Your inadequacy is apparent, Agent. Failure to contain the threat only amplifies the chaos that now engulfs our city."

With calculated precision, the Headmaster gestured toward his outstretched hand, which held a contained miniature black hole, a menacing orb pulsating with ominous energy. "You were entrusted with a task, Agent, and you have faltered. The consequences of such incompetence are dire."

As the Headmaster advanced, each step echoing in the pristine chamber, a sense of foreboding filled the air. "You fail to grasp the magnitude of our purpose. Ava's defiance is a mere obstacle in the grand design, but your inability to quell it...that is an intolerable flaw."

Suddenly, the air crackled with otherworldly energy as the Headmaster unleashed the contained black hole upon the Agent. The room erupted into chaos, the fabric of reality distorting and collapsing as the vortex of unfathomable power consumed the Agent.

"And thus, Agent," the Headmaster's voice echoed through the tumult, "your tenure ends here. May this serve as a testament to those who dare challenge the authority of the Directive. Our supremacy is absolute."

In the aftermath, the chamber fell silent, the only remnants of the Agent's existence being an eerie emptiness where he knelt moments before. Undeterred and unflinching, the Headmaster turned away, his eyes fixed upon a skyline shimmering with uncertainty and the promise of unchallenged dominion.

Cafe of Liren.
Time- 8 am.

In the morning, the twins sat in a cosy cafe. The cafe smelled of coffee and was crowded with people. The twins come here every day, not only because it is their favourite cafe out of all cafes, but also because one of their mysterious friends owns this cafe.

"WHAT? HAHAHAHA!"

Alex laughed at a random joke done by Ava. Ava looked slightly confused as if she didn't understand the joke she told.

"But... what does it mean?"

"Ahahaha.... damn, say that joke again."

"Why was six afraid of seven?"

"Because 7 8 9. Oh- if you listen closely, that sounds like seven ATE nine!" Alex said, laughing again.

"Oh... I don't know... that sounds even worse after you told me its meaning..."Ava said, looking like she felt guilty for telling that joke.

"Hey, don't say it's a bad joke! IT'S THE BEST ONE I HAVE EVER HEARD!"Alex said as she sipped her coffee.

"Oh, thanks."

"Well, it looks like I'm gonna laugh thinking about this at random times till I don't."

"You make it sound that funny..." Ava said before the twins went silent for a very long time. As soon as Alex finished her coffee, she took a deep breath before looking at Ava and breaking the silence.

"Hey, sis, I wanna tell you something very important."

"Go on."

Alex looked around nervously. "You know, you were always saying that we're supposed to be AI assistants. But... the truth is-" Her voice was interrupted by the news playing on the TV.

"BREAKING NEWS! OUR SOURCES HAVE FOUND OUT THAT THE DIRECTIVE ARE PLANNING TO LAUNCH A CATALYTIC WEAPON IN THE CITY! IT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED THE BEAM USED WILL SUMMON A BIG METEORITE TO A CITY! IT HASN'T BEEN CONFIRMED THE SIZE OF THE METEORITE, BUT- HEY, WHO ARE YOU?! YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO COME HERE! SECURITY!"

Alex and Ava looked at the TV, wondering who could that person be.

"WAIT, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?? YOU CAN'T HURT A REPORTER LIKE THAT! DON'T YOU EVEN DARE-"

Those were the last words heard from the TV before its screen went black. The twins were still curious about the attacker.

"I wonder what happened to that reporter..." Ava said with a worried expression.

"So... should we go look?"

"WHAT?"

"You don't know, she's another one of my friends. And to remind you, I went to give that reporter that news."

"Ah. Another one of your strange friends aren't they?"Ava said with a relaxed expression.

"Stop saying that, will you?"

"No."

"Alright then, if you insist." Alex got up from her seat and walked towards the exit. "We'll leave at 9 pm today. And I'll be the one driving the car this time."

"Jeez, you're always like this," Ava said, also getting up.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*