Part 8

-Grian's POV-

Leaving my friend was always a bitter moment, I usually had a good cry on the fly because if I cried in front of Scar I would just die of embarrassment. Being vulnerable was definitely not my strong suit and anytime I had strong feelings I got particularly embarrassed. Here, flying with y/n, I could hold it together, crying in front of her was not going to happen. It couldn't. That is, until she decided to ask a question; 

"Grian, I saw tears in your eyes, you can tell me what's bothering you, I won't judge." That just sent me over the edge, I felt drops of salty water slowly fall down my cheeks as I cleared my throat to speak. 

"I just always get really upset whenever I have to leave Scar, I don't have too many close friends and it hurts to go. I'll be alright, I promise. This isn't anything new." I said through tears, trying to mask the wavering in my voice. y/n grabbed my hand that I was using for stability while flying, and gave it a soft squeeze before saying, 

"I'm so sorry you had to go through that alone so many times, I'm here to help in any way I can, we are in this together this time." I couldn't see her face because of the flying position but I just knew she looked sympathetic. I never wanted sympathy from anyone, I was fully responsible for whatever happened to me and it had always been that way, but with her it felt different, a nice different. A fuzzy feeling rose in my stomach and my tears quickly dried up. 

"Thank you, I really appreciate you understanding, it's definitely helping to not be alone this time." I replied, with a small smile making its way to my lips.

-y/n's POV-

I can't believe Grian has had to deal with so many things all by himself, I can't even begin to imagine being alone for that long. The poor man's been through so much but is still so cheerful most of the time. He really is an incredibly strong person, and the vulnerability he just showed made me appreciate him even more, he trusts me enough to let it out and talk to me. I'll make sure to be extra observant of his feelings so I can try help as soon as possible. 

I have always been pretty good at comforting people I think, whenever Kay had been dumped by the latest girl I was always there to help. Thinking of Kay made me feel slightly homesick, it's only been 3 days! I can't be missing my family already! My thoughts were interrupted by a small chirp, wait, a chirp? 

"Did you just... chirp?" I asked, holding back laughter. 

"No!" He spat out defensively. He was definitely lying. 

"You totally did!" I exclaimed back. "I was just trying to see if that bird over there could hear us! I didn't think you'd notice." I heard from behind my head. 

"That's adorable." I gushed, for some reason the fact that Grian could chirp warmed my heart. 

Grian decided to change the subject, seemingly embarrassed. "Look! you can see the mountains from here! I think it'll be another 3 days or so till we get there." He said pointing ahead of us.

 Sure enough, I saw a beautiful range of rocky peaks in front of us in the distance, slightly covered in a blanket of clouds. 

"They're gorgeous!" I exclaimed back. "You really used to live there?" I added. 

"I only really lived in the mountain faction for a few years of my childhood before it was raided and I found Phil. It really is a beautiful place though." He answered. 

"So where are we staying tonight? Surely you don't have any other friends living in enormous trees?" I asked after a period of comfortable silence. 

"I think we'll just crash at an inn, usually the farming faction is extremely busy at this time of year and there probably wouldn't be any availability, but I've got a friend who owns a hostel so we should be able to get a room there." He explained.

-Grian's POV-

"Tell me about him!" y/n said. 

"Huh?" I asked, I wasn't sure why she was asking about Scott. 

"Well I mean there isn't anything better to do, and I want to learn more about your life!" She explained. That made sense, it's nice to have someone so interested in me just talking. 

"Well I met him a year after I left Phil's place, his name is Scott Smajor. He gave me my first job working at that inn. I'm very thankful that I ended up working for him and not someone else, as a young Avian, any less compassionate person would have definitely sold me out to a hunter for a cash reward, but Scott was better than that. I did odd jobs in his hostel for about a year and a half till he deemed it unsafe for me to stay in the same place any longer; there was a hunting party coming to the village every week, and so I left. It'll be really nice to see him again." I rambled on about my friend. 

"He sounds lovely! I'm excited to meet him!" y/n exclaimed, clapping her hands a little bit. 

"What about you? What are your friends at home like?" I asked, she hadn't really talked much about her life yet other than Kay, her mom and art. 

"Well to be completely honest, I didn't make too many friends, I had a lot when I was younger, but my work has kind of taken away from my free time and we've drifted apart. I still keep in touch with a girl named Niki. She's been an amazing, dependable friend. Even when I wasn't really." she said. "I honestly think I should work on making more friends when I get back, it's probably good for my well being, yeah?" 

"That's a good idea. You've got me as a friend now so you're already on your way!" I replied. I have no idea how she doesn't have a multitude of friends back home, this girl's the most enjoyable company to have around. We continued chatting before I pointed out that we were almost at the inn, right in time to watch the sun go down while still in the air. I smiled at the golden light covering y/n's hair and skin, making her glow like I'd imagine an angel glows. The feelings were brushed off as Scotts inn came into view and I brought us to a gentle landing in a nearby grassy field.

-A/N-

pretty long chapter this time! :D

1120 words