Radhika's confrontation

The following morning, the rain finally broke and the sun decided to take a peek. Thankfully, the water level in the street too was starting to drain. Ahalya announced that she would like to go next door and start cleaning up. She wanted to check on the damages as well. Shankar offered to join her but she insisted that she could manage on her own. She knew that he had to get ready to go to his office as well. Since Saraswathi was up and about, Shankar just had to help her minimally and proceed to check on his factory. Ahalya told Chaami mama to stay at Shankar's house until she fixed the house and he agreed to do so.

Ahalya sighed in relief to see that the water had not done much damage. She just needed to mop up the entire house with bleach. Their house wasn't to large so it wasn't a huge space to clean. While she was finishing the clean up, she heard a knock at the door. Shankar had stopped by to let her know that Mukundan had called to let him know that they had left from Kancheepuram and will be home in a few hours. There was a moment of silence where they both wanted to say something. Shankar cleared his throat and said, "Seri...Appo naan poitu varen." She nodded and said, "o sheri.... Pinna nethakki paati chonna samacharatha nenachu romba kozhambi kaadhengo." He looked at her and then smiled, "Haan...ok. Seri naan kelambaren" he turned around to leave but just stood there for a moment. She immediately asked, "Ennachu? Edhaavudhu chollanama enkitta?" He turned around again to look at her and with utmost love in his eyes said, "Thank you." She looked confused, "Edhukku?" He said, "En kooda irundhadhukku aparam...." he struggled with his words and then stammered, "nee sonna vaarthaigal ellame un manasulerndhu vandhadhu nu theriyum, aathmaarthama. Eppovum iruppiya? Ippidiye?" Ahalya's face flushed. She looked away. His eyes spoke more than his words. She fumbled and said, "Ungalukku office ku naazi aagardhu. Kelambungo. Enakkum inge velai irukku. Avaa ellam vardhukkula veeta seri panni, kulichu, samayal velai irukku." He kept looking at her but she could not give him the answer that he was looking for.

Ahalya knew how delicate Shankar's heart was. She did not want to give him any hopes until she figured out her feelings first. Yes, he was very special. Just a glance from him made her heart flutter. He was kind and generous. No guy had looked at her or made her feel like he had. He looked at her as though she was the only girl in the universe but the last thing Ahalya wanted was to break his heart. Before she could accept him, she needed to know about herself. It was only fair not just to her but to him as well.

Annam, Mani, Mukundan and Radhika arrived in a few hours, by which time, Ahalya had cleaned up the house, had a shower and had cooked a sumptuous meal. She had asked Saraswathi not to cook as she was cooking for her as well. Annam was thrilled to hear about Saraswathi's recovery and wanted to see her immediately. Radhika wanted to show off the purchases as well so, after lunch, the ladies left the men at home to rest. Mukundan had headed off to office and the women went next door. Saraswathi was happy to see the beautiful sarees. There was the maroon 9 yards koora pudavai, the yellow and maroon oonjal pudavai and the MS Blue with purple border for the first night. There was a beautiful orange and green saree for Ahalya as well. Although Ahalya was reluctant to take it, Radhika and Annam insisted. They had purchased few more for the in laws side of the family. The jewelry was already made.

With less than a month for the wedding they were all in a frenzy. Shankar was a huge helping hand. It was his sisters wedding too. The vazhai was tied outside the house, letting everyone know that there was a special occasion. All the special pooja's prior to the wedding had started. Shankar found Ahalya outside drawing the beautiful kolam, almost every morning. Other then a few words here and there, they did not say much to each other but one person noticed something and that was Radhika. It was time for her marudhani and Ahalya plucked the leaves from the back yard. She used the ammi to grind it into a fine paste. Radhika and Ahalya got a private moment when she was applying the marudhani. Radhika whispered, "Ai... Ahalya..pshhh.... Inge paaru dee. Unkitta onnu kekkanum aana nee ennoda moonji ya paaru." Ahalya said, "Mardhaani ittu vittundu irukken illiya. Ennadhu chollu." Radhika giggled, "Unakku Shankar anna va pidichirukka?" Ahalya literally stopped what she was doing but did not look up. She mumbled, "Edho paithiyam madiri pethaadhe. Unakku matha naalikki kayanam. Unnoda maapillai ya pathi nenachukko Appo thaan mardhaani chevakkumaam." Radhika continued to tease her, "oho.. Appo ittu vidaravalukku ippo ve nanna chevandhirukke. Appo..... nee aarayo nenachundu irukke appidi thaane?" Ahalya looked at her fingers and they were indeed red but she said, "Appidi ellam onnum illai... adhu...vandhu..badaadaabbaa... vandhu..haan... ungathu marudhani elai appidi." Radhika continued, "Seri Appo indha kaila sathyam panni chollu unakku Shankar anna mela aasai illainu." Ahalya was put on a spot. She didn't know what to do. She stood up as she had finished applying the marudhaani. As she was about to walk out of the room, she stopped and thought for a moment.

Then she said, "Oru kalyanam aagadha ponnu oruthar mela appidi aasai vekkardhu thappu nu Lakshmi paati choleerka. Naan avaroda manasa odachuduveno nu bayama irukku." She continued to walk when Radhika said, "Anna oda manasu irukattum. Unnoda manasu? Andha manasu paavam illiya? Ahalya, onnu maathram cholaren dee, nee indha ulagam muzhukka thedinaalum Shankar anna madiri oru nallavar kedakka maatar. Amma Appa kitta naan pesaren. Avale thaatha kitta pesi nalla padiya ellam nadathi tharuva. Unakku onnu theriyuma? Mukundan Anna va vida enakku Shankar anna va thaan pudikkum. Adhe maadhiri unnayum enakku romba pidukkum." Ahalya was overwhelmed but all she could say was, "Naan yaaru ne enakku theriyadhe? Adhu therinju avar enna veruthaar na? Illai naane avaroda manasa udakara neelamai vandhudhu na ennala thaanga mudiyadhu. Indha aasai ellam appidiye podhachu vachukaren. Nee dhayavu panni aaru kittayum edhayum cholladhe" and she walked away leaving Radhika confused.

Brinda Subramanian