Celebrations

The evening was as beautiful for Shankar as the rest of the day had been. Ahalya dragged Radhika along for the dance class at Gayathri Akka's house. Gayathri was only 3 years older but Ahalya was used to calling her Akka. The dance class was in the porch so Shankar was able to witness them dancing just by standing near the gate. He pretended to not look but Ahalya caught him red handed and broke into an instant smile. Chaami mama's student arrived for their chanting. Mukundan joined in. Shankar decided to sit as well but he did not know well enough to chant.

As soon as Ahalya got back home, she freshened up and then there was a ritual of lighting the lamp in the temple room and walking with the velakku all through the house, carefully, chanting "Deepam". It was hot idli and coconut chutney for dinner. Shankar had already enjoyed 3 pieces when Ahalya brought two more for him. He covered his banana leaf saying, "Porum, Porum". She looked up at him with a smile and said, "Idhu thaan engathula kadaisi chaapadu. Naalelerndhu naalu naal full kattu kovil la. Kaarthala kaapi lerndhu ange thaan. Ennoda kai punniyathula innum oru idli saapdungo." He couldn't help but smile at what she said and moved away his hand saying, "Seri unnoda kai punniyathukaaga onne onnu." She chuckled and placed the hot idli adding a large spoon full of the chutney.

Sleeping arrangements were planned for the night. Women decided to sleep in the hall. The older men took the small bed room while Shankar and Mukundan were given the study upstairs. It was Ahalya's study room but had a large enough space for two mattresses. Everyone had had a long day so they were all more than happy to hit the pillow.

Shankar was woken up to the sound of melodious singing of the suprabadham. He stretched his body and looked at his watch. It was 5am. He stood up and walked to the window, moving the screen to see who it was. Ahalya, had a towel tied on her head to dry her wet hair. She was drawing a beautiful kolam while singing. This sight automatically brought a smile to his face. A single strang of hair was bothering her so she tried to push it away and in the process noticed him at the window. She smiled at him and said, "Naan ezhuppi vittena? Parava illai vegam poi kulichuttu vaango. Aaru manikku Aanai la Bhagavathy ya pozhaikku kooteendu povaa. Adhukkula vegam." He smiled and nodded. Then he asked her, "Vegam aa? Appidina?" She smacked her forehead and accidentally applied the kolamaavu on her forehead saying, "vegam mean hurry up." He nodded saying, "Oho seekiram aa?" She smiled saying, "Amaam cheekaram cheekaram." He chucked. She was the cutest human he had ever met. He grabbed his clothes and woke Mukundan too so they could both go to the river but as the came down Chaami mama stopped them saying, "Iniki kenathulendhu thaan vellam izhuthu kulikkanam." Shankar looked puzzled so Mukundan clarified, "Kenathulerndhu thanni eduthu kulikanamam da." Both the boys drew water from the well and had a quick bath. The water was extremely cold and Shankar was too conscious of Ahalya seeing him bare bodied but she was busy up front.

They came out just in time to see the procession start with the sound of chendai. Ahalya saw him and quickly pulled his hand to come forward. Then she gestured him to put his hands together as if praying and whispered, "Bhagavathy ya kondu vara aanai oda peru Kesavan. Enakku kesavan aa romba pidikkum." As Kesavan approached Shankar took a step back but Ahalya walked up only for Kesavan to bless her with his trunk after accepting a bunch of bananas from her. She pulled Shankar once again saying, "Bayapadadhengo Kesavan onnum panna maatan. Ayo inge vaango." Shankar was hesitant and quickly stepped back after getting the blessings making Ahalya giggle.

Rest of the day was festive. The temple was buzzing with people. Ahalya and Radhika were busy with the other girls decorating the temple with flowers etc. Food was being cooked and served and both men and woman took turns. In the evening the entire temple was lit up with lamps and there was music and dance. How much ever he tried, Shankar couldn't take his eyes off Ahalya. She was such a graceful dancer and the most soulful singer. Although his brain kept telling him that she is a young girl, his heart would pay no heed to his brain.

He was unable to fathom how four days flew by. A 14-15 year old girl had completely swept him off his feet so innocently and he couldn't stop himself. Before he knew, it was time to leave. He was surprised not to be woken up by Ahalya's beautiful voice instead it was a regular chanting. He looked out the window to find Lakshmi maami drawing the kolam. He wondered what was going on. He woke Mukundan up and they went to the river to have a bath. They came back a quickly packed their things as they had to leave right after breakfast. Lakshmi mami served them the upma and chutney, still Ahalya was no where to be found. He heard the sound of anklets from the room inside. He looked up a couple of times, hoping for her to step out but no such thing happened. Finally, when they were about to leave and he still hadn't seen her, he mustered the courage to finally ask, "Ahalya... va paakave Illa. Onnum illai...s...solittu kelambalaam nu...."he stuttered. Radhika pinched him and whispered, 'Ayyo Anna... ava.... Aathula illai.. Purinjukko. Vaa nee" she dragged Shankar, who still quiet did not understand. Mensuration was considered a bad thing and not discussed openly especially with guys so Shankar was clueless. He kept turning around to get a glimpse of her.

Finally he saw a pair of eyes looking out of the window. She slowly stretched her hands and waved at him. Shankar smiled and waved back not knowing if he would ever see her again. He took back some very precious memories that, he knew, would stay with him forever.

Brinda Subramanian