Shankar's heart VS logic

A lot had happened in Ahalya's life too, some of which Shankar was aware of and some not quiet. A couple of years back Mukundan and family had hurriedly handed their house keys to Shankar and rushed to Puducode. Lakshmi mami had collapsed while pulling water from the well and had had a stroke. She had been taken to the nearest hospital which was in Palakkad but it had been too late. Shankar was shocked to hear the news. He wanted to ask how Ahalya was managing but, as usual, kept it to himself.

He was lost in thought when she snapped her fingers in front of his face saying, "Ennachu? Enna yoshikkarel?" He just smiled and nodded then proceeded to ask, "Nee mattum thaan vandhirukkiya?" She nodded vehemently saying, "Mmmhmmm.... Thaatha irukka. Thaatha oda kan operation ku vandhirukkom appidiye irundhu Radhu oda kalyanathukkum help panittu polaame nu thaan. Oru maasam thaane irukku ava kalyanathukku." Shankar nodded then frowned and asked, "Thaatha oda kann operation eppo?" Ahalya suddenly looked sad, "6 maasam minnala Coimbatore la cataract operation pannina aana adhu seri aagalai. Ippo vera edho problem irukku. Inge Shankara netralaya la free aa pannuvaalame. Adhu thaan inge vandhom. Appidiye Radhu ku cheer ellam Naane panni tharen nu chonnen Chitti kitte. Velila order ku kudutha vendaatha chelavu thaane. Paati thaan enakku ellam cholli thandirukaale.... Mmm.... Unga baashai la chollanum na... enakku ellame kathu kuduthirukaale" she smiled but there was an underlying sadness that touched Shankar. He quickly walked in to greet Chaami mama and assured that he will help in whatever way he can as well. As it was getting late for work he said good bye and left.

Although he was at his factory, his mind was bogged with the thought of Ahalya and what she had told him. There was something about her that made Shankar uncomfortable. Ahalya's eyes were not sparkling like before. She seemed a little lost or may be, worried about something. He did not know what was exactly but was determined to find out and help her. He could barely focus at work but managed to get things done for the day and left just after 4pm. Half way through his drive the sky became gloomy and it started drizzling. By the time he reached home, the dark clouds had taken over the entire sky and the downpour had become heavy. Shankar was worried for his grandmother because he knew that this weather would bring electricity down and she wasn't very comfortable in the dark. Just as he had guessed, as he approached his house, he noticed that the houses were all dark.

As he pulled towards his gate, he was surprised the see the glistening flames of candle from within. He opened the gate to park his bike. Fortunately their house was built on a higher level. There were 5 long steps to get to the porch where they left the footwear and then two more to get into the house. He was pleasantly surprised to hear laughter from wishing. He was completely wet but he yelled out for his grandmother, "Paati, paati, naan vandaachu." As he walked in, he saw Ahalya sitting next to his grandmother and, after years, he saw his grandmother smiling like old times. He looked at him and said, "Shankara, idho paaru Ahalya. Madhyanam Radhu kooda vandha enakku saapadu eduthu thara. Aparam Radhu kelambita. Iva en kooda kadhai pesindu ukkandhirukka. Mukundanum Avanoda appavum Iva thaatha va kan doctor kitta kootindu pona. Radhu vum ava ammavum edho mappillaiku chain order panna ponaalam." Ahalya quickly looked up at Shankar and interrupted the conversation saying, "Achacho mothama nenanjutele? Thodachukongo illaina jaladhosham pudikka pordhu." She handed him the dry towel from the shelf.

Shankar thanked her and smiled, "Neenga pesindu irungo thaan fresh ayittu varen." As he left the room, his heart felt warm. Ahalya just looked so perfect in his house, as though, this is where she meant to be. His grandmother was so comfortable with her and Ahalya was so kind. He quickly changed into some dry clothes and dried his hair with the towel Ahalya had handed to him. As he stepped out of the room, Ahalya walked out of his kitchen and handed him a steel tumbler, "Indhaango kaapi. Ippo ellam kudikka arambichuttel nu paati sonna. Sooda irukku kudingo." He grabbed it from her saying, "Naan pottupene. Unakku Edhukku sramam." She smiled and answered, "Adhu thaan dhenamum Neengale thaane panikkarel. Oru naal en kaiyala potta kaapi kudichu paarungo. Oru naal thaane. Naan enna ingeye vaa irukka poren." He words, for some reason, felt like thousand thorns had pierced his heart. He wanted to tell her that she should stay here, with him. A few minutes later she quickly waved a bye to him and ran back next door saying, "Ippo Neenga vandhaache Appo naan kelambaren. Paati, naan poitu naalikki vandhu ungala paakaren." Before he knew, she was out of his sight.

Shankar couldn't quiet understand what was going on with him. His heart longed for her but he barely knew her. He had spent 4 days with her and that was 4 years ago. He had again met her just that morning and all these feelings he was having seemed too strange. He did not even know if she liked him or was she just a kind person. Why would she like him? May be she just saw him as her house guest then and just as her cousin's neighbor now. What would she think of him if she came to know of his feelings for her?

Brinda Subramanian