Change is inevitable

It had been four years since Shankar's visit to Puducode and a lot had changed in his life. His grandfather had passed away a year ago and grandmother's health had deteriorated ever since. It seemed like it was more out of grief than old age. After all she  had lost her companion and best friends of over 70 years. She had married him when she was only 11 years old. She had been a child bride and he had always treated her with love and respects. He had given her the time and space to grow. They had had four children together of which only one had survived. He too had broken their heart but they were blessed to have their grandson. They were hoping to see him marry and have children but alas that remained a wish. Shankar's grandfather had succumbed to a major cardiac arrest in his sleep. Although it was a peaceful death and he was moving around till his last day, grandma was devastated. This led to her being sick. Slowly, Shankar took over her responsibilities including cooking. They had a helper who took care of washing the dishes, clothes, gardening etc.

Shankar had also started his own company. He supplied parts for bikes and had acquired a huge contact with Enfield. Right after completing his graduation, he had approached the bank for a loan. His grandfather had some money put in his name which he used as a down payment. Shankar's father was not too happy with the idea of his son wanting to do business but he did not stop him either. Fortunately, Shankar's business started doing well in the second year and he started seeing profit. Initially, he used the extra room on the top floor for the office but then, when business started to grow, he rented a place in town called Tambaram, which was on the outskirts. He travelled by bike everyday but only after cooking for his grandmother. Mukundan's mother and Radhika would take turns to check on grandma, during the course of the day.

One thing that did not change for Shankar were his memories of Puducode. He thought of Ahalya all the time but did not dare ask. Once, soon after their return, he was at Mukundan's house when Radhika yelled out in glee saying, "Amma Ahalya kittendhu letter vandhirukku." Shankar's ears immediately perked up. Radhika went on saying, "Aval 10th la 97% vaangeerkaalam ma. PUC padikka Coimbatore ku poraalam. Thaatha ku therinjava aaro irukalaam. Avathula irundhundu college ku poitu vara poraalam. Namma ellarayum ketadha ezhudheerka." Shankar's heart was pounding. Would she have enquired about him? Did she miss him or was he just a visitor according to her? Could he ask Radhika about it? Could he get a glimpse of the letter? He slowly mustered the courage to ask, "Radhika, enna..... pathiii... edhavudhu.." but before he could say any further, Radhika flipped the letter back and forth and said, "Aathula ellarayum  general aa kettadha ezhudeerka. Shankar anna adhula neeyum included thaane. Neeyum indha aathula oru aalu thaane anna." Although Shankar smiled, he somehow felt very hurt. May be she was just nice to a guest. That was the last time Shankar asked anything. Even though his grandparents had been keen about finding him a girl and getting him married, he kept refusing.  Mukundan and family would go to Puducode every year and always asked him but he had an excuse every single time.

Time flew but he could not shake Ahalya from his mind. Every little thing reminded him of her. He would hear the suprabadham playing at someone's house and he would immediately think of her. A beautiful kolam at someone's porch would remind him of her and the sound of anklets would remind him of her.

It was one November misty morning. Shankar was up early and was boiling milk in the kitchen when he heard giggles. It was coming from next door. At first he assumed it was Radhika. Then he heard the sound of anklets. He knew Radhika never wore anklets because she was allergic to silver. He smacked the back of his head and told himself, "Dei irukkadhu da. Nee vera. Modhalla avala pathi nenakardha vidu." The milk was boiling and threatening to over flow. He quickly switched off the gas. That's when he heard the giggle again, this time more clearly and his heart skipped at beat. He quickly took a peak from his window and there she was. Yes it was Ahalya. That gorgeous smile still intact. She was a grown young woman now but she still had those twinkling eyes and that absolutely gorgeous smile. Her animated expressions and her hand gestures while talking made him smile once again. While he was lost in her, he heard his grandmother's muffled voice, "Shankara kaapi potaacha?" He jolted realizing that he was lost in time. He quickly made the coffee and took it to her. He informed her of the breakfast in the hot case. He then quickly showered. He wore his blue shirt, tied his veshti, he quickly looked at himself in the mirror. He smiled and stepped out to go next door with the pretext of borrowing the newspaper.

Their front door was wide open and his face lit up when he heard a chirpy, "Vaango vaango enna ormai...." she placed her finger on her chin trying to remember the right word. Then, with sparking eyes she said, "haaan...nyabagam...irukka?" and that was all it took to melt his heart.  There she was, his Ahalya, right in front of him and the wholehearted smile that he had lost, came back in a jiffy.

Brinda Subramanian

Brinda Subramanian