Ahalya's smile

Ahalya grew up following her grandparents routine. She grew up in a house filled with love, culture, art and tradition. She woke up at the crack of dawn along with her grandparents. She would skip along with Lakshmi to the puzhai or river for a cold bath. Then she would sit on the porch to watch Lakshmi chant suprabadham while cleaning the front of the house. She would use a broom to clean up and then sprinkle water. Then, with rice flour, she would make beautiful design called kolam, all along, singing the morning song, suprabhadham. Soon after Chaami would sit to do his soorya namaskaaram which she joined him for and he would chant vishnu sahasranamam. Their was always a quick trip to the temple before heading back home for some porridge.

Her friends would be at the door to walk to the school, which was just around the corner. She returned home for a sumptuous, hot lunch and then headed off to attend the afternoon classes until 4. Lakshmi would have snacks and milk ready when she returned home from school. Then it was time to play with her friends. Hopscotch or paandi was the favourite. Then they would play nondi where you fold up one leg and hop around trying to catch others who are running.

But as soon as she saw Gayathri akka start her classical dance class, Ahalya would run to watch. She was mesmerized by this art. One day Gayathri noticed Ahalya trying to imitate her so she invited her to join the class. Since then, dance became another favourite thing for her to do.

Once the sun starts to set, it was time to get back home to light the lamp, say prayers and start homework. Chaami mama would always stay near to clear any doubts she may have. After dinner, it was story time. Ahalya would lay on Lakshmi's lap while she would tell her little stories from Ramayana, Mahabharatha etc.

Ahalya's world was this small village. Her family, friends, happiness everything was this place. She had a carefree life. As she started growing up she started helping Lakshmi with the chores. The neighbors were woken up by her sweet voice when she sang the suprabhadham. She helped Lakshmi with bakshanams and was so good with kolams that people wanted her to draw the first one for all auspicious occasions. He dancing eyes and chirpy personality made everyone smile.

Ahalya's life was drastically different from  Shankar's.

So what do you think?

Brinda Subramanian