Chapter 20, Moon 12

Start from the beginning

They soon ran into the other patrol, each cat nodding respectfully at each other. "Thornear," Pebbleclaw meowed, "how's hunting?

"Pebbleclaw. It's been going excellent."

Ivyshadow briefly recognized Thornear from an encounter they'd had when she was a kit; he'd helped her after she'd nearly drowned.

They finished the rest of the patrol without incident, and Ivyshadow hurried until camp, scanning for Snowpaw. She quickly spotted her sister sharing a vole with Winterthorn. "Snowpaw!"

Snowpaw looked up, but it was too late to warn her. Peebleclaw was already padding over, Avornstar at his side. "Good luck!" Ivyshadow called.

Snowloo's expression turned to nervous excitement as Acornstar and Pebbleclaw began to explain. Ivyshadow grinned at her friend, confident she would do great.

"We'll be sharing a den again." Viotletpaw's whisper was right behind Ivyshadow's ear, causing her to jump in surprise.

She quickly recovered, turning to glare at her evil sister, "I'm not afraid of you anymore."

Violetpaw laughed, a sound that slid over Ivyshadow, like a river shedding away the stones of her confidence. "We'll see about that."

Ivyshadow watched her sister pad away, feeling unease prick her spine. Violetpaw had changed and matured just as much as Ivyshadow had. She was no longer the pointless bully of a kit, but had grown into a ruthless adult, and Ivyshadow had a sneaking suspicion that Violetpaw had a purpose now, a plan. Why had Violetpaw grown to be like this, when Snowpaw had grown into a confident, helpful adult? What had gone wrong? Was there something inherently wrong with Violetpaw, or had something happened?

Ivyshadow turned her eyes away from her siblings and back to Winterthorn, who'd been joined by Birchpaw, "When are you going to get around to getting your full name?" she asked Birchpaw teasingly as she approached.

"Why change something that's working perfectly? Dreamwalker and I have a good thing going." Birchpaw meowed nonchalantly.

Ivyshadow leaned closer, "You're jealous!"

"Hardly. If all I needed to know was how to jump on a rabbit I would have gotten it a long time ago," Birchpaw retorted.

"I want to see you try to hunt a rabbit," Ivyshadow rolled her eyes.

"you mean you want to see a rabbit hunting Birchpaw," Winterthorn said, suppressed laughter in his mew.

Ivyshadow spotted movement in the corner of her vision, and she turned to look as Birchpaw and Winterthorn argued. It was Ava, padding out if the den halfway supported by Larktail. The she-cat looked much better, her matted fur giving way to a silky calico coat.

Ivyshadow paused for a moment of uncertainty before padding up to the two she-cats, who were now crouched over a mouse. "Um, Ava. Could I ask you a question?"

Ava looked up, surprised. "What is it?"

"Do you know where Willowbranch is? Does she live nearby?" Ivyshadow twitched her tail nervously.

"I haven't spoken to her in moons," Ava admitted, "she used to visit me every day, but she stopped coming a while ago."

Ivyshadow perkerd her ears, questions running through her head, "Where does she live? Is she a kittypet?"

"Ivyshadow..." Larktail meowed warningly, "Acornstar will never let you go look for her. It's better left in the dark."

Ivyshadow's ears drooped. She knew Larktail was right; Acornstar was incredibly strict about outside relationships. It had never really bothered Ivyshadow before, but now... what would it be like to have a mother who truly lived her, no matter what? Riverflower had never loved Ivyshadow, but it was clear she cared about her kits, even Violetpaw.