Mother

Kingdom of Amaryah

The day before Spring, 2759 DP

The servants placed steaming food before Neirnis̈hënon and the queen, then retreated to the shadows of the intimate room. The dining area in the Royal Quarters was clothed in floor-to-ceiling maroon. Gold leaves and vines crept their way up the walls and caught the candlelight.

Neir shifted in his seat and swallowed uncomfortably as he glanced at his father's spot. It was empty.

"Where is Father?"

"In his study, dear. He has matters regarding Houndal he must attend to." The queen delicately skewered a roasted vegetable, dipped it in the savory sauce, and ate.

Neirnis̈hënon nodded. "The river."

His heart gave a painful squeeze as he thought of Ruishë all alone in his room.

"Is there a guard with him?"

Mother's delicate brows knit together. "Of course. Why do you ask?"

"Are there many guards with him?" Perhaps he should skip dinner and go sit with Father. But they were serving Neir's favorite meat! Roasted quail! How often did they serve that? It must be a special day–

Then he remembered. It was spring the next day; the first day of the year. That night was a time to put away the bad, to repent of evil in order to bring about a good new year. Apparently, that meant eating quail.

He pushed the meat around his plate, appetite gone.

"Neirnis̈hënon, he is well protected. You know he is safe within these walls... Has Aylë been talking to you about Yousi?"

Neir hesitated. She hadn't, but he nodded anyway.

Mother sighed. "We really shouldn't let her clean your father's study. Yousi spies have been found in Amaryah, many with dreadful instructions. But I assure you, love, we are well protected. There is someone very skilled watching over our safety."

Neir nodded, but the flips his gut were doing did nothing to assure him. He dreamt of his father's death... didn't that mean this threat was more than the guards could handle? The king's protection was up to Neirnis̈hënon, then, to save his father. And, as a seven-year-old king wouldn't make a good ruler, saving the kingdom was up to Neirnis̈hënon as well.

Good thing I have a plan...

He bit his lip to keep it from trembling. It's my last night with Ruishë... Something niggled at his mind. His father had been disappointed at Ruishë's presence in the Gateway. Not many people were allowed in the massive room. The Gateway was for royalty, important dignitaries, and only the most trusted servants. Did Ruishë not fit into that?

"Mother, do you think Ruishë is important?"

Her rosy lips curled in a smile, and her brown eyes gleamed. Her polished hand stroked his chin. "Of course she is, but not nearly as important as you."

The door behind her opened quietly, and Aylë silently stepped in. The servant closest to the door was startled, and the jug of water jumped out of his hands—

Aylë, quickly and as adept as a woodland deer, caught the jug before it could shatter on the ground. She returned it to the sheepish servant's hands and smiled at Neir. Was dinner time already nearly over?

With a sigh, he ate the last of winter's quail, kissed his mother good night, and let Aylë take him back to his room to Ruishë.