Alleyways it is

    Alleyways it is.
    It added nearly an hour to my travel time due to my sneaking, but it was the less riskier option.
     Luckily, there were no fenced in back yards or security gates. Everything down there was free to roam.
     I made several turns as I clung to the building walls, but quickly stopped in my tracks as I heard a door open several meters in front of me. 
    I backtracked and threw myself to the side of one of the buildings, and pulled my sword from its sheath.
    I held it to the ground and used its reflection to see what was happening on the other side of the building.
   It was a woman and a young boy that emerged from the doorway behind the house.
  "I'm sure he's not far, honey," the woman assured the young boy as they stood outside the door. "Your little kitty always comes back."
   "But he's never gone this long," he whined. From the sound of his voice he couldn't have been older than five or six.
   "You can search for him around the block while I make dinner," the woman offered. "But you'd better be back before the table is set."
    "Yes ma'am!" the boy chimed as several footsteps came closer, and I quickly drew my blade toward me.
    "Oh, honey!" the woman called. "Don't forget your knife. There are bad people out there."
    "Okay!"
    He took several steps toward the house before the door shut and his footsteps came closer to me.
Shit, he's going to see me.
    His footsteps came closer and closer, and I knew I couldn't run out into the main street, but I knew it was inevitable that the boy would see me.
    I took a deep breath and stepped out into the alleyway where the child stood several feet in front of me, stopped dead in his tracks.
    His bright blue eyes went wide as he started to fumble for the knife held in his waistband.
   "I'm not going to hurt you," I said quietly, but he continued to reach for his knife. He pulled it from its sheath and held it out toward me with shaky hands.
   He looked me up and down as he took me in.
   "My mom pays her weekly tax," he said shakily as he stared at my ODM gear. "I-If you're here to punish us-"
    "Easy," I whispered as I released my blade back into its sheath. "I'm not here to punish either of you."

    His knuckles glowed white against his blade's handle as he stared at me with pure fear

   "T-Then why a-are you here?"
   "I'm on a mission," I said calmly as I knelt down to his level.
    "Why do you h-have a cape?" he said with furrowed eyebrows, his blade still trembling. "I've never seen you guys have capes."
    "This is a cloak," I chuckled. "What 'guys' are you talking about?"
    He tilted his head.
   "You're not... one of the Kingsman?" he said weakly as his voice cracked.
    I took a deep breath.
   "No," I said, "I'm not."
   "Well, who are you?" the kid asked without lowering his weapon.