You felt a little more reassured, and you felt your heart lift a little lighter. You gave Aragorn a grateful smile. "Thank you," you whispered.

Aragorn flashed his own back, patting your shoulder. "Now come, it is time we leave."

~~~

You were all gathered around the small living room of the Brandybuck's, the Brandybuck's themselves present, Saradoc and Esmeralda Brandybuck. They both wore equal looks of disdain displayed on their faces. They were not all too pleased about your small group taking shelter in their home, much less having to heal someone, and having extra mouths to feed. But because they knew of what had fallen their son, Merry, they knew that things had to be done, and that this small group was the only people who could help save him. But that didn't mean that they were gonna be any nicer about it.

"Thank you for allowing us to stay here," Aragorn began, addressing the whole group, including Sam and Rose. "We intend to leave immediately and return your son to you as quickly as possible."

"You better," Saradoc grumbled. Esmeralda elbowed her husband and made an effort to put a smile on her face.

"Please do return our son," Esmeralda said. "We'd hate anything to happen to him. Thank you for what you're doing."

"We only want to restore peace to Middle Earth and all the creatures that inhabit it," Aragorn responded. "Thank you again for your hospitality, but we must be going now. Once this war is over, we will send our thanks from Minas Tirith with treasures beyond your imagination."

The two Brandybuck's eyes widened in amazement. "T-that's not necessary..." Esmeralda started, but Saradoc cut her off.

"We would be very pleased with your offer, my king," Saradoc said hurriedly. He gave Esmeralda a pointed look.

"Y-yes, thank you my king," Esmeralda stammered.

Aragorn narrowed his eyes slightly but ignored their selfish wishes. He turned to Rose and Sam. "Thank you for your assistance, young hobbits. Without your help, Y/n here might have been lost to us forever." You gave a sheepish smile. "We will send you our thanks once this is all over, but I hope our thanks now is quite enough."

"No reward is required, my king," Rose said humbly. "We were just simply helping someone in need, and to Sam, it meant everything."

Sam looked slightly embarrassed. "I'm just glad I had an opportunity to help old friends," he mumbled. "I was wondering...if it might not be too much to ask...might I come with you? I know of the dangers you may encounter, and I am willing to pull my weight in the company. Besides, I really want to make sure that my friends are ok."

Aragorn studied Sam for a long moment, then gave the smallest of nods. "Very well, Master Samwise. You may come. But be aware that this journey is full of perilous twists and turns, we do not know what might occur."

"Thank you, sir," Sam said, relief in his eyes. "It means the world to me. I will help in every way I can."

"There will be no need to call me sir, Sam," Aragorn said, a smile in his eyes. "Aragorn will suffice."

"Of course, Aragorn," Sam said, delighted. But his delight turned to a sad atmosphere as he turned to his wife. "Rosie, I am sorry but I must go."

Rose cupped his face with her hands, smiling at him, but there was a glimmer of sadness in her eyes. "Do not be sorry, Sam. Your friends are out there. They need you. Go save the world."

"Yes ma'am," Sam murmured, then leaned in for a kiss. You looked away, feeling sick. Ok, yes, you and Legolas had kissed, but seeing it done on other people just made you queasy. But that wasn't the only feeling you'd looked away. It'd jolted a feeling of longing in you that you'd never felt before, something so strong that if you didn't have friends around you it would have swept you away. You held back the tears and returned your focus to what was happening, Sam and Rose now saying their farewells. Once it was done, Sam was sent off to pack what things he could. Esmeralda was more than happy to help, Saradoc less enthusiastic. Since they could not return to Sam's house, they had to use what things they could from the Brandybucks. And, unfortunately, there was little. But they mainly focused on food and water, as well as other important supplies such as as little sleeping equipment as possible, and many other small things that could fit into their small bags. Finally satisfied, Sam returned with a packed back, cooking supplies resting on his back. You raised an eyebrow.