ch. 15

Slight TW: This chapter contains depictions of sexual activity and explicit sounds. Reader discretion is advised.

Several moons had passed since you, Clive, and Cid embarked on your journey through Lostwing. As the need for caution intensified, the decision was made to temporarily part ways, with a plan to reconvene at Northreach. Cid, always pragmatic, suggested this approach to avoid drawing unwanted attention, proposing a rendezvous at an abandoned chapel just outside the capital.

Clive readily concurred with Cid's strategy, emphasizing that it would be wise for you to accompany Cid to reach the checkpoint. Despite recognizing the logic in this arrangement, you harbored a silent reluctance. The prospect of being separated from your long-time friend again tugged at your emotions, but, understanding the necessity, you ultimately assented.

As the sun began its descent, casting a warm glow across the landscape, you and Cid meticulously scouted the parameters near the capital's entrance, preparing for the challenges that awaited your trio.

"Just as I imagined. They're everywhere," Cid remarked as you walked alongside him toward the gray cobblestoned chapel that loomed in the distance.

"It's almost just as I remember it..." you mused, your gaze fixated on the grass below.

"With much fewer dragoons running about? I take it there won't be much of a warm welcome for your return?" Cid lightly jested.

"I quite doubt the Emperor would even recall my appearance at all. I'd just be another fugitive breaking in," you replied with a soft sigh, keeping your eyes fixed on the ground. A short silence hung between you before Cid spoke again.

"He isn't there if that's what you're worrying about," he said.

"Huh?" You quickly looked up at him.

"He's battling at the frontlines of Belenus Tor against Waloed. There were rumors of him withstanding against Odin himself. If that much is true, then your brother is alright," Cid reassured you.

You weren't surprised that he could read your mind. Cid was always ten steps ahead of everyone, including yourself. It was no secret to you that he would go the extra mile to keep an eye on those you hold dear, including your brother. Whenever Cid heard even the slightest detail about him, you were always the first to know. He understood that it would put you at ease, even if only temporarily.

As you both arrived at the chapel, you pressed your back against the wall, savoring a momentary respite.

*Flashback*

"Come now, Lady Y/N, we may visit the gardens after your meal," Clara gently suggested as she walked alongside you.

Together, you traversed the long, vast hallways of Oriflamme's castle, the weight of the day's lessons lingering. Despite your lack of hunger, Clara insisted on ensuring you partook in your second meal, mindful of the repercussions of skipping any daily repast—especially when your mother was concerned.

Upon entering the dining hall, a grandeur unfolded before you. The vast room boasted towering ceilings, a magnificent long wooden table adorned with an extended table runner, and an array of cushioned chairs. High red curtains framed each window, floor candelabras bathed the space in soft light, and end tables displayed vases filled with freshly bloomed flowers, creating an atmosphere of regal opulence.

Clara guided you to the designated end of the table, where she courteously pulled out the chair, indicating your usual seat. A nod of gratitude was exchanged before you settled into your chair, and Clara, taking her place to your right, subtly pushed it in.

"I've requested your favorite for dessert," she shared in a hushed tone, a soft smile gracing her lips.

Before you could respond, the door creaked open, revealing four servants, each bearing silver plates crowned with steel-domed covers. A golden trolley, laden with glasses and beverages, accompanied them.