ch. 4

Three Summers Later

The Year of the Realm is now 860, and while much remains unchanged in Rosalith, you can't help but notice how time has flown by. The bustling marketplace, the ever-diligent Shields of Rosaria, and the thriving shop—all these familiar sights remind you of the continuity of life. As the days turned into months and the months into years, your bond with your mother has grown even stronger, and together, you've managed to keep the shop successful, often selling out weekly.

But amidst the comforting familiarity of daily life, you found solace and serenity in a place that remained untouched by the passage of time.

Sitting atop a cliff at the edge of town, overlooking the vast expanse of the ocean, you allowed yourself to be embraced by the breeze that gently caressed your hair, and the scent of salt that filled your nostrils. Here, near the ocean, all seemed to stand still, and the worries and responsibilities of everyday life melted away. This spot became your sanctuary, a place where you could find peace and clarity. It felt as though the ocean itself held a connection to your very being, and you could sit here for hours, lost in its timeless embrace.

"I knew I'd find you here", a familiar voice spoke behind you.

"You know me well then, my lord," you replied with a smirk, turning your head to see none other than Clive himself. The past three years had solidified an unbreakable bond between the two of you, and you had become the closest of friends. Over time, you had learned so much about each other and the connection between you had only deepened. Not a day went by when you didn't see each other, and whenever the opportunity arose, you both cherished the chance to unwind and share your thoughts, talking about anything and everything.

Clive's presence was like a familiar comfort, and you found peace in the fact that, even as time moved forward, your friendship remained steadfast.

"No need for formalities," he chuckled as he took a seat on the ground next to you.

"Oh, but how else will I address the son of the Archduke with such respect?" you snickered playfully.

"Witty," he replied with a hint of sarcasm. "I crossed paths with your mother, and she's worried of your whereabouts. You haven't tended the shop in some time, I presume?"

You looked out into the distance, gazing at the never-ending ocean before you. "My apologies, I must've gotten carried away. I did not realize the timing of my absence," you said, feeling a touch of guilt for worrying your mother.

Clive lightly chuckled at your response and turned his gaze to the horizon as well. "I can understand why you favor this setting. It is an ideal location for escaping reality."

The two of you fell into a comfortable silence, savoring the tranquility of your surroundings. The crashing waves, the soothing breeze, and the vastness of the ocean seemed to wash away any worries or concerns.

"You know, Clive... As strange as it may sound, something about the water... It calls to me. It just feels... absolute. And the closer I get, the more I feel... like myself," you told him, trying your best to convey the inexplicable connection you felt with the sea.

Clive looked over to you with a soft, understanding expression in his eyes. He respected your feelings and the connection you had with the water, even if he couldn't fully comprehend it. His presence was comforting, and you knew he wouldn't judge you for your emotions.

A loud bell sounded in the background, signaling that it was now midday.

"We should head back," Clive suggested, concern lacing his voice. "At the very least, we should advise your mother of your safety. Also, Joshua and Jill will be waiting."