ch. 11

It can't be. It just can't. Clive Rosfield died thirteen years ago.

But there was no doubt about it. The man standing right in front of you was none other than Clive himself. His eyes widened upon hearing your name, giving you a perfect opportunity to really look at them. You've longed to see those eyes once more. Those blue orbs were etched into your memory, a comforting image that helped you fall asleep during countless sleepless nights as a child. You knew them well, but they had seen many trials and tribulations, the toll of which you had never noticed before. Your days as children had been far different and more peaceful than the turbulent thirteen years you both had endured.

"Is...is it r-really..." Your voice choked, and you fought back the tears that threatened to flow. You had never wanted to shed tears in front of Clive, but in this moment, it seemed like the most challenging task you had ever assigned yourself.

"Y/N," he finally said, his voice cracking with emotion.

"I'll just give you two a moment," you heard Cid say behind you as he exited the room and closed the door behind him.

"It's me," Clive spoke again, and you collapsed to your knees. It still hadn't fully sunk in, and everything felt like a dream, a dream you never wanted to awaken from.

Clive rushed to your side, dropping to his knees as well, and embraced you. It was in that moment, feeling his presence, that it all felt undeniably real.

"You... you're alive," you managed to say, your voice choked with sentiment. Slowly but surely, you returned the embrace.

"I am... and so are you. How I've longed to know if you were alright all these years," he responded, his gloved hand gently caressing the back of your head, offering comfort.

You buried your head into his shoulder, letting your tears flow silently, knowing that he couldn't see them, but they were tears of joy, relief, and a profound sense of reunion.

"I can't believe... it's really you," you said, your voice filled with a mix of awe and disbelief.

Clive tightened his hold on you, as if he never wanted to let you go. And after a few seconds, he gently released his embrace and locked his gaze with yours.

"Forgive me for being absent for so long, Y/N, but...I am here now," he said, brushing a few strands of hair away from your face with a tender touch. "How did you find this Hideaway?"

"It was Cid. He saved me and Torgal years ago and brought us here," you replied, your voice filled with gratitude and a touch of sadness.

"I see. I know the events of the past are not something you'd like to remember, but what happened after you left Phoenix Gate?" Clive asked, his voice compassionate and understanding.

You sighed, unable to meet his eyes as you recounted the painful memories. "When I arrived in Rosalith from Phoenix Gate, the kingdom was up in flames due to the imperial army. There was no sign of anyone except the dragoons scouting the town and emptying homes... I went to search for my mother, and I couldn't find her at first...until I heard the voice of a man, a Shield that was injured, and I... I tried to save him, but..." You did your best to keep your voice steady, but it was difficult to recount the suffering his homeland endured and the tragedies you had witnessed.

Clive placed a comforting hand on your shoulder and gave you a supportive nod.

"S-She killed him. My mother... killed the man before my very eyes. Even now, it's hard to believe, but I saw it all, and she felt no remorse. It was as if she had become a completely different person. S-She wasn't my mother...She would never do such a thing...I felt so enraged...so betrayed. I felt something grow inside of me that wanted to come out but then...everything went dark. And that's all that I could remember from that night."