ch. 8

The next morning arrived, but it was not a restful awakening due to another haunting nightmare. As you readied yourself for the day and headed toward the stables, you found your mind attempting to unravel the conundrum of the dream. However, you swiftly cast aside the puzzling thoughts, redirecting your focus towards your plan to reach Phoenix Gate.

While your heart might have yearned to shadow Clive's path to Stillwind, you recognized the wisdom in not avoiding your duties, which could raise concerns with your mother. Your commitment was resolute – every chocobo destined for Phoenix Gate must be tended to meticulously. You ensured their feathers were clean, their bellies nourished, and their armor securely fastened for the journey ahead.

Upon reaching the front gates accompanied by the assembled escorts, you dedicated extra time to tending to Ambrosia, ensuring her utmost readiness for the impending journey. Your gentle touch and soothing words conveyed your hopes for Clive's safety, as well as Ambrosia's own well-being. The chocobo seemed to understand, responding with a reassuring "kweh" that brought a smile to your face. It was a brief moment of connection and trust between you and the steadfast escort, a promise of your intentions for Clive's protection.

"There you are. I was hoping for a chance to see you before my departure," Clive's voice reached you as he approached from behind.

"Clive," you responded, a mixture of emotions evident in your tone as you turned to face him.

"Did my message find you?" he asked in a hushed tone, concern etched into his features.

"It has. You do well to take every precaution on your journey, won't you? I've heard of the treacherous dangers posed by those goblins," you said, your worry palpable.

"Worry not, Y/N. I shall be accompanied by two skilled Shields, so the burden of the fight won't rest solely on my shoulders," Clive reassured you.

The resonance of Ambrosia's gentle kwehs redirected Clive's attention, prompting him to offer comfort by tenderly stroking her feathers.

"Sorry, Ambrosia. We won't be hunting today", he gently reassured the chocobo. Shifting his focus, he glanced over at Joshua and Jill who were engaged in their parting words by the wall.

Your attention naturally gravitated to them, capturing the heartfelt exchange between them as Jill offered Joshua her final words of encouragement.

"Don't worry. I'm sure you'll do brilliantly", she assured Joshua.

"Hm. I'll try", Joshua replied, a hint of determination in his voice.

As the Archduke himself approached with a retinue of Shields, gesturing for Joshua to join their ranks, Jill and Joshua exchanged poignant farewells. And after their waved goodbyes, Jill redirected her gaze towards both you and Clive.

"Good luck", she called out to Clive, her hand waving through the air in a supportive gesture.

A subtle, appreciative smile curved on Clive's lips as he nodded in response.

-

After some moments passed, the Shields gathered together to initiate their departure. The resonating sound of oliphants reverberated throughout the courtyard, prompting both you and Clive to turn your attention towards the now mounted chocobos.

"Friends! We ride for Phoenix Gate!", proclaimed the Duchy, his voice carrying the weight of determination. "May the Blessing of the crystals go with us!"

"And shield the firebird's flame forevermore!", resounded the hearty cheer of the Shields.

"His Grace departs! Open the gates", bellowed a nearby guard, his voice echoing with urgency.