ch. 9

Abruptly jolted from a deep sleep, you found yourself disoriented by the clamor echoing through the corridors. Shouts and hurried footsteps filled the air, creating a sense of urgency that cut through the night's stillness.

"Find his Grace and ensure his safety", you hear someone yell.

"Alert Lord Rosfield immediately and anyone else within the chambers", another person yells.

You struggled to shake off the remnants of slumber and the urgency in the voices became more pronounced. Orders were being barked, the words tumbling into your room in an incomprehensible whirlwind. Realizing that something was amiss, you swung your legs over the edge of the bed and reached for your shoes, your mind slowly starting to clear.

The door to your room burst open, and a wide-eyed Clive rushed in, his voice laden with urgency. "Y/N! Quickly, we must leave."

Your heart raced as you tried to make sense of his words amidst the chaos outside. "What's happening?" Your voice trembled with worry.

"We're under attack, and parts of the citadel are ablaze," Clive explained, his expression tense with concern. "I need to find Joshua."

Understanding the gravity of the situation, you nodded without hesitation, grabbing your sack and following Clive into the tumultuous corridors. He lit a small floating flame, a feeble beacon against the darkness, guiding you both through the labyrinthine fortress. The once-familiar halls were now shrouded in an eerie gloom, punctuated by the sounds of battle and panic.

As you moved through the fortress, the grim reality of the situation became painfully clear. Fallen Shields littered the path, their valiant efforts against the attackers evident in the scene of chaos. But there was little time for contemplation as shouts echoed down the corridors.

"Over there! Get them!"

"Y/N, stand back!" Clive's voice cut through the chaos, and his sword was unsheathed in a fluid motion. The clanging of steel against steel reverberated as he fended off the approaching adversaries. You instinctively stepped back, giving him room to maneuver, watching as he deftly dispatched the assailants.

With swift and calculated strikes, Clive's blade found its mark, and the attackers were soon lying defeated at his feet.

When the echoes of the skirmish faded, you remained vigilant, catching your breath and waiting for Clive's next move. "An infiltration?"

Clive's expression tightened, a mix of frustration and determination in his eyes. "I'm not sure yet. We need to find Joshua and ensure his safety. The attack seems calculated and targeted."

You nodded, your heart racing as you thought about the implications of this attack. The citadel, once a bastion of security, was now a battleground, and the presence of unknown assailants was deeply unsettling. As Clive moved to continue, you followed closely, your mind racing with worry and questions about what could have led to such a dangerous situation.

As you both hurried through the tumultuous fortress, your attention was divided between the chaos around you and the constant feeling of unease gnawing at your gut.

Suddenly, your foot collided with a fallen armored man, and you stumbled forward. In the nick of time, Clive's firm grip on your shoulders steadied you. And as you regained your balance, you spoke, your voice puzzled. "This armor...why does it look so familiar..."

You watched Clive's expression shift from concern to a mix of shock and realization as he stared down at the armor. "Sanbrequios garb... But why would the Empire attempt to infiltrate us?"