ch. 13

"Y/N... Y/N, it's time to wake."

The voice was a distant murmur, pulling you from the depths of your slumber.

"Come now, Y/N, we must leave soon. Wake up."

A gentle hand rested on your shoulder, coaxing you into consciousness. With reluctant eyelids, you greeted the world. The figure before you slowly solidified into your mother, her caring gaze fixed upon you.

As she ceased her gentle prodding, you blinked, rubbing the sleep from your eyes. Your voice, heavy with both confusion and fatigue, broke the morning's silence. "What's going on?"

"I shall explain during our journey, but for now, you must rise and make ready. Clara will see that you are prepared while I finish gathering our belongings," your mother informed you.

"Come now, Lady Y/N," Clara, a servant of the Oriflamme castle, instructed. She wore a long, formal gown that was meticulously polished, matching the attire of the other castle servants.

You summoned what little energy you had, pushing yourself up from your comfortable bed. Twisting your body, you allowed your legs to hang off the side. Through a small crack in the curtains, you glimpsed the still-dark sky, the moon reigning supreme. "The moon is still out, Clara. Why doesn't Mother wait until morning?"

"It is unknown as to why her Majesty requested your awakening at this hour. She only ordered that I make haste to ready you for your upcoming journey. I've prepared a bath for you, Lady Y/N. Please freshen yourself as I lay out your new garments for your travels," Clara explained.

"Thank you, Clara," you replied with a yawn as you stretched your arms. Clara hurried over to your wardrobe, and as instructed, you pushed yourself to your feet and headed towards the washroom to bathe.

It didn't take long to complete your morning routine, and soon after, you were impeccably dressed, and your hair had been artfully groomed and styled by Clara's capable hands. Once you were ready, Clara gracefully rang the silver bell on your nightstand, signaling for another servant to enter your expansive bedroom with a beautifully set breakfast tray.

"A meal has been prepared for you, Lady Y/N. I shall inform Her Highness that all is in order, and you are dining," Clara informed you with a respectful bow after setting the tray on the table across from your bed.

You acknowledged her with a nod, still perplexed by the urgency of your mother's summons and the early hour.

After savoring your meal, which featured gourmet eggs, fresh fruit, warm bread, and a cup of decaffeinated tea with sugar cubes on the side, you strolled over to your towering bookshelf. It housed hundreds of options, and since you had no idea where you were headed, you opted to bring along one of your favorite stories.

The Saint and the Sectary

The sound of your bedroom door's knob turning sent you into quick action. You discreetly slid the book behind your dress and cinched the bowknot around your waist to secure it in place.

"Darling, have you finished your meal? It's time for us to depart," your mother's voice called out as she reentered your room.

You were well aware that your mother wouldn't approve of this particular book, considering its themes were too mature for your age. Still, you couldn't resist its captivating storyline and often reread the play in secret.

"Yes, Mother, I'm ready," you replied as you followed her out of the room and down the corridor. "May I say goodbye to brother before we leave?"

"Your brother is still asleep, Y/N. We mustn't disturb him," she replied, taking your hand and leading you briskly toward the castle's entrance.