"You look better," Elena said.

"Where did you get the dagger?" Elijah asked.

"I'll tell you everything, but we have to work together, Elijah," Elena said. "I need your word."

"Your ability to make demands has long passed," Elijah said.

"No demands," Elena said. "I'm offering you my help. And in return, I want yours."

"And why should I even consider this?" Elijah asked.

"The same reason that you haven't killed me," Elena said. "You need my help to kill Klaus and I need you."

You looked out the window as Elena's phone rang. You could feel Elijah watching you. You didn't want Klaus killed, and there was the problem. How could you convince Elijah to change his course without telling him you remembered? And how could you do it with Elena two feet away from you?

"Yes, I'm fine," Elena said.

"Where's Elijah?" Stefan asked.

"He's right here," Elena said, looking over at Elijah.

"Where? I'm on my way," Stefan said.

"No, Stefan, Elijah and I need some time alone," she said.

"Listen to me. He can't be trusted he'll use you to get to Klaus," Stefan told her.

"Elijah is a noble man, Stefan. He lives by a code of honor. I can trust him. He knows that I'd be incredibly stupid to betray him again. By removing the dagger, I have proven myself," she looked pointedly at Elijah. He smirked in response.

"You can't do this alone," Stefan said.

"I'm not alone. Y/N is with me," she said.

"What?" You heard Damon in the background.

"She'll watch out for me," Elena said. "It's my decision, Stefan. Please respect it. And make sure that Damon doesn't do anything stupid. I'll be in touch."

She hung up and Elijah held out his hand for her phone. She hesitated for a moment before placing it in his waiting hand. He put it in his jacket pocket.

"Tell me, Elena, what makes you think I brought Y/N to watch out for you?" Elijah smirked.

"She's my friend," Elena said, meeting your eyes in her rear view mirror.

"Hmm," Elijah said simply. You looked at him in confusion. Did he think you'd come to watch out for him? Why would he ever think that? For all he knew, you had helped them dagger him.

"He's here," Elena said after a while.

"Klaus is here?" Elijah looked at her sharply.

"He's taken over Alaric's body," you told him.

"Of course he has," Elijah rolled his eyes. "One of his favorite tricks."

"Well, what are his other tricks? What is he going to do next? You're the only one who knows him," Elena said.

Elijah looked back at you through the mirror. "Perhaps at the moment, I am."

• • •

You arrived at the Lockwood Mansion as Elijah instructed. "Elijah, Elena, Y/N! What are you doing here?" Carol asked as she opened the door. She took in the state of Elijah's suit. "What happened?"

"I've had a bit of an incident, Carol. I'm hoping you could help," Elijah said.

"Well, I'm on my way to a meeting, so I-," she started.