Episode 28

Jaipur

​​​​​​​India

Could anyone remind him why was he snooping on people like a spy?

Bhavani stilled, holding his breath behind a huge column. The guard looked to and fro before disappearing in the room across him. It was one of inner hallways where lights were as shadowy as the situation was. A cryptic storm was brewing amongst the security.

Bhavani was about to congratulate Abhinav and Ira when he frowned at pale face of Yash, one of Rudra's security men. He tried to dismiss it, however soon simultaneous notifications went off in the corner. The men in black hastily fished out their personal devices, sweat running down their faces and gritting their teeth.

Something was off.

At a planned time.

His vision darted around to check for immediate danger. The faded noise of wrapping up of the party by Abhinav, echoed here.

He took a shaky breath in.

Curiosity was scratching at his logic.

Perhaps his auditory system was his weakness. Once again, a shadow was creeping to him while he gathered the courage. Abruptly a moist cloth was clamped over his mouth and nose. Alarmed, he kicked back at the shin of attacker, meanwhile accidentally breathing in the funny smell.

Fuck. No no no.

Before he could turn around to confront the attacker, he was going limp in their arms, vision and consciousness blackening.

"Relax, I won't harm you," A very familiar voice murmured close to his ear.

***

Ironically enough his first sense to recover was, hearing. It was noiseless, save for his own calm breaths and lulled heartbeats. Groggily his eyes opened. The world was blurry as one new sense flooded him.

He tugged the ropes binding his hands behind his back however to no avail. They were knotted securely around his wrists. His feet were tied too.

"Goodness, I was afraid I gave you a wrong dose of anaesthesia. Sorry bro, I used what I'd last minute," It was a casual murmur from someone he knew.

Kabir.

He wanted to laugh. How had he missed the signs? Darting eyes, unexplained disappearance, unusual defensiveness when narrating about his life...

Of all the people who could be betrayers tonight, it had to be him, someone who he liked as a friend, as a brother. This realisation was no rocket science since he was tied up and the security was acting suspiciously.

It was a bitter twist. To wonder how he once respected a conspirator.

The said accused leisurely stepped closer to him, hovering over his bonded form on cold tiled floor leaning against a wall. He peered at him, tilting his head. "You weren't meant to find it out this way...but you can't blame me. You were becoming a hindrance to my plans." He chuckled amusingly at whatever he assumed was funny about the situation before turning around.

"Why are you betraying the crown? How long have you been planning this?"

It froze Kabir on spot. He drummed his fingers by his side in vacant air as if racking his brain for a believable answer.

"Don't lie," He warned.

"For more than a decade." The reply was razor sharp stilling his blood.

"Why?" His voice quivered without meaning to. He didn't know his friend anymore. If he had been planning to betray since the age of fifteen, then it was impossible to trust where was the real him all along. Befriending Bhavani could..it too could be a part of his plan.