Episode 4

Mumbai 

India

He could do this, he reminded himself. His eyes were darting, hands jittery while he brisk walked in the lavish interiors of the headquarters. Pulling out the ID card, he put forward it on the sleek grey reception desk. The monotonous girl looked up and gave him a side eye as she scanned the ID.

"Name?"

"Bhavani."

The girl narrowed her dark eyes at him but chose to stay silent. He looked everywhere but at the woman in white shirt over black pants. Her hair were tied up in a neat professional bun.

The girl ran his name in the system. Bhavani Agrawal came up. "Good, tenth floor, hall no. 7A for orientation. It has been a pleasure meeting you Mr. Agrawal." She resumed her work of typing.

He took back his ID card and carefully put it in his side pocket. A man came up. There was a wide grin plastered on his boyish face as he leaned over the hard desk. "So Leela, where's that chick?"

Leela almost wanted to roll her eyes. Her face was screaming exasperation and annoyance. "Which one?" She sighed.

"The one you know." He propped an elbow over the desk to lean on his side, vision registering Bhavani for the first time. "Hey. Mind if I ask who are you?"

"Promoted transfer." Bhavani replied casually. He tried to mask the increased social anxiety at new place. He was far from home, Howrah bridge and yellow taxis nowhere in sight. The insane traffic and overpopulation here were getting to him.

The man frowned. "Oh really? I think all the guys have gathered already. Tu kaunsi bala hain?" What nuisance are you?

An amused smile lit up on his face at friendly banter. "Maybe you didn't notice all the names properly." He put a hand forward. "Bhavani here."

The guy's eyes widened. "Bhavani??!" The guy shouted as if Bhavani was an alien & not a human.

"Why..?" He turned to Leela. She rolled her eyes. "Don't ask me Mr. Kabir." She turned to Bhavani. "Miliye apni Bhavani se." Meet your(she) Bhavani.

It took him exactly three seconds to register the hidden implication of the sentence, and when it did, he couldn't help but burst into laughter. This was rude but this was funny!

Kabir pouted in betrayal. He clutched his heart. "Why Bhavani why?" He gazed melodramatically at Bhavani, mimicking a dying protagonist extending a hand to the traitorous loved one. "How can you? How could you break the heart of your fellow bro?"

Bhavani smiled politely. Kabir wrapped his dominant arm around his shoulders in a pseudo bro hug. They were of almost same height. "Welcome aboard Mr. Bhavani."

"Sincerely," Bhavani replied back as he softly patted his forearm.

Kabir winked at Leela and began dragging Bhavani. It, this level of energy, reminded him of his friend Arnab. Bhavani had met the guy for the first time when he shifted to a new school. Arnab was a bully of their class. He used to mock him for his girly name until maturity caught him. They became weirdest of friends after their sentimental lunch sharing in 6th grade. Speaking of whom, he would need to call him back at dinner. Arnab would be just as curious as his sisters and father be.

"Where are you from?"

They took the elevator. Bhavani replied comfortably in the curious silence between them. "Bengal, Kolkata to be precise. And you Mr. Kabir?"

"Delhi."

He nodded in acknowledgement but then frowned. "Mind me if I question your position, and you don't seem new here."

Kabir's lips quirked up in amusement. "It's because I'm Mr. Rathore's secretary. He's currently in the background."

Bhavani blinked off the shock as he composed himself. This goofy guy in a light grey shirt was Mr. Sanjay Rathore's secretary. Chairman's secretary!

Kabir grinned. "I'm such a charm, aren't I?"

The doors parted with a binge sound. The secretary turned to him, arms akimbo. "Considering how I reached out first to you, I can drop you off at the hall. Mind it?"

"Absolutely not."

Bhavani began following Kabir. The orientation was to be presented by CFO as in Abhinav Rathore, the chief financial officer here. He had heard how unique the ways of the man were. It was about time he would get to personally witness or hear about it.

"You have good observation skills." Kabir glanced at him as they professionally walked through the busy corridors. Glass partitions showcased active employees attending work at their desks.

Bhavani politely declined it. He didn't want to create a bad impression on the first day itself. "Thank you sir. It's your kind outlook."

Kabir shook his head "I'm serious. Usually people dismiss light behaviour as non-threatening which is good, but not always."

Bhavani could hear the warning undertones in it. It was most definitely pointed at Mr. Abhinav. Unpredictable and unreachable. Good natured but dangerous.

It was a sheer reminder to cautiously step at this unfamiliar territory. He would be directly working under one of the most powerful family of India. Rathores as he could conclude, were ruthless if someone messed with their business. He had to pull up his professionalism and stay away from office drama. Usually Bhavani would not care about societal class and power of anyone. This was an all together different scenario. First his job depended on it. Second he had to mind certain dangers considering how he had a family. It wasn't easy for him to be threatened, save when it came to his sisters.

They were his lifeline.

On the way to take a turn, Bhavani collided with a wall or so he thought. He was caught off guard. Imbalanced, he began falling down until a very firm grip on his arm pulled him towards the source of perpetrator, a moving wall which had eyes.

Everything stilled at the gaze of deep black eyes intently captivating his soul at its place, like shadows calling him..

The grip on his arm tightened painfully.