lockwood

Title: Shadows of the Past

Chapter 1: A Midnight Encounter

Lockwood jolted awake, his heart pounding in his chest. Beads of sweat trickled down his forehead as he tried to shake off the remnants of his nightmare. The room was cloaked in darkness, the only source of light coming from the moon filtering through the curtains.

Feeling disoriented, Lockwood stumbled out of bed and made his way to the kitchen. The cold tiles beneath his feet provided a stark contrast to the warmth that still lingered from his dream. He needed something to ground him, to bring him back to reality.

As Lockwood reached for a cup, his hand trembled, causing it to slip from his grasp. The cup shattered against the floor, the sound echoing through the silent house. Lucy, who had been awakened by the noise, groaned and rolled over in her bed. But curiosity got the better of her, and she decided to investigate.

Lucy tiptoed down the hallway, her footsteps barely audible. She pushed open the kitchen door and found Lockwood standing there, his disheveled appearance a stark contrast to his usual composed self. His cheek was marred by a thin cut, and his hair was tousled from running his hands through it in frustration.

"Lockwood, what on earth are you doing?" Lucy asked, her voice laced with annoyance. "Can't you be a bit more careful? You've woken up the entire house!"

Lockwood turned to face her, a sheepish smile playing on his lips. "Apologies, Lucy. I didn't mean to cause such a ruckus. Just had a nightmare, that's all."

Lucy's annoyance softened, replaced by concern. She approached him cautiously, her eyes scanning his face. "Are you alright? That cut looks nasty."

Lockwood shrugged, trying to downplay the severity of the injury. "It's nothing, really. Just a scratch. I'll be fine."

Just then, George appeared in the doorway, rubbing his eyes sleepily. "What's going on here? Did I miss a party?"

Lucy rolled her eyes at George's attempt at humor. "Lockwood had a nightmare and decided to redecorate the kitchen with broken cups."

George chuckled, his voice still heavy with sleep. "Well, that's one way to start the day. Need any help cleaning up?"

Lockwood shook his head, a grateful smile tugging at his lips. "Thanks, George, but I've got it under control. You two should go back to bed."

Lucy glanced at Lockwood, her eyes filled with a mix of annoyance and concern. "Fine, but don't think you're off the hook that easily. We'll talk about this in the morning."

As Lucy and George retreated back to their rooms, Lockwood sighed, his shoulders slumping. He knew Lucy's annoyance was just a facade, a way to mask her worry. He appreciated her concern, even if she didn't show it openly.

Lockwood cleaned up the broken cup, his mind still haunted by the remnants of his nightmare. Shadows from the past seemed to linger, threatening to consume him. But he knew he couldn't let them win. He had a team to protect, a world to save.