Damn 2

SPOILERS FOR THE INHERITANCE GAMES:

Grayson Hawthorne sat in his dimly lit apartment, nursing his wounds from the brutal attack he had endured earlier that day. The interview of him kissing Avery Grambs had gone live, and the backlash had been swift and merciless. Gray, a nobody in the grand scheme of things, had become the target of public scrutiny and hatred.

A knock on the door interrupted his thoughts, and he sighed heavily before calling out, "Come in." The door creaked open, and Avery stepped inside, her eyes filled with concern. In her haste, she dropped the cup she had been holding, and it shattered on the floor. Gray's heart sank at the sight, realizing the impact his situation was having on her.

"Gray," she whispered, her voice filled with a mix of anger and sadness. He rose from his seat, his disheveled appearance only emphasizing the extent of his injuries. His black hair fell into his eyes, partially obscuring the bandage that covered a deep gash on his temple. Scars marred his torso, chest, and arms, evidence of the violence he had endured. Blood seeped from a fresh stab wound on his stomach, and he held a handkerchief tightly against it, preparing to stitch it up himself. Despite the pain, he remained eerily calm.

Without a word, Avery walked over to him and gently pushed him back into his seat. Gray's confusion deepened as he watched her tears stream down her cheeks. "What's wrong, Avery? Is someone from the crew hurt?" he asked, his concern for others still at the forefront of his mind.

Avery shook her head, her voice choked with emotion. "Yes, someone is hurt. You," she whispered, her words barely audible. Gray's hands stilled, the needle and thread forgotten in his grasp. He looked at her, his eyes searching for understanding.

Avery took a deep breath, trying to compose herself. "Gray, I never wanted any of this to happen. I never wanted you to get hurt because of me," she confessed, her voice trembling. "I never imagined that a simple kiss could cause so much pain."

Gray's heart ached at her words, his own pain momentarily forgotten. He reached out and gently wiped away her tears, his touch tender and comforting. "Avery, this isn't your fault," he said softly. "I made the choice to kiss you, knowing the consequences. I knew what I was getting myself into."

Avery shook her head, her eyes filled with guilt. "But you didn't deserve this, Gray. No one does. It's not fair."

Gray smiled sadly, his hand still cupping her cheek. "Life isn't fair, Avery. We can't control how others react to our actions, but we can control how we respond. And right now, I choose to rise above the hate and show them that their words won't break me."

Avery looked at him, her eyes filled with admiration and love. "You're so strong, Gray. I don't know how you do it."

Gray shrugged, a hint of a smirk playing on his lips. "I guess I've always been a fighter, even when the odds are stacked against me. But having you by my side makes it a little easier."

Avery leaned into his touch, her tears drying on her cheeks. "I'll always be here for you, Gray. No matter what."

And in that moment, as they sat together in the midst of chaos and pain, Gray and Avery found solace in each other's presence. They may have come from different worlds, but their connection ran deeper than fame or notoriety. Together, they would face whatever challenges lay ahead, their love and resilience guiding them through the darkest of times.