The Unbreakable Bond

Chapter 1: The Departure

Zoe, the princess of the kingdom, and Gray, her father's first knight, had been thrown into an arranged marriage. Despite being married, they hardly acknowledged their relationship. One day, as Zoe's father and Gray set off on a scout mission, they bid their farewells. Zoe hugged her father tightly, and Gray and she awkwardly attempted a handshake until they both burst into laughter and embraced each other.

"Goodbye, dearest wife," Gray whispered, his eyes filled with warmth.

"I shall miss you, dearest husband," Zoe replied, a genuine smile gracing her lips.

Chapter 2: A Week of Silence

A week went by, and there was no news about Zoe's father or Gray. The kingdom fell into despair as Gray was pronounced dead. Zoe's hope for her father's safe return started to wane.

Chapter 3: A Ray of Hope

Nine days after their departure, a lone horse galloped towards the castle. A man, heavily injured and leaning on the horse, approached the gates. The guards, recognizing their own flag on the horse's saddle, opened the gates and rushed to meet the unknown person. Zoe, hearing the commotion, pushed past a guard and joined the crowd.

"It's Sergeant Gray!" one of the guards shouted, concern and fear etched on his face.

Zoe's heart raced as she pushed through the crowd. When she laid eyes on Gray, her lifelong friend and husband, her breath caught in her throat. He was in a fragile state, his face marred with cuts and bruises, dirt streaked across his cheek. His knight's suit was torn, his medals missing, and his hands were calloused and torn. He relied heavily on the horse, his haunted eyes gazing into the distance.

Chapter 4: A Fractured Reunion

Zoe stepped forward, but before she could reach Gray, two guards intercepted him. They carried him inside, leaving Zoe in shock and desperation. She chased after them, only to witness Gray being placed on his bed, bleeding and scarred. The guards left, and Zoe opened her mouth to speak, but the chief advisor, Lila, arrived with a cold frown.

"You were in the King's scout team, correct, Gray?" Lila asked, her tone icy.

Zoe's outrage flared. "He should be resting, recovering, or getting patched up!" she shouted. "And he is Sergeant Gray, address him by his title!"

Lila turned to Zoe, sneering. "Really, Your Majesty?" she taunted. "This man killed your father."

Gray, occupied with bandaging his wounds, suddenly turned to Zoe, his eyes filled with anguish. "That's not true," he revealed, showing a horrific gash hidden beneath his black hair. "We were ambushed. I was knocked out, and they must have thought I was dead."

Zoe watched him intently, her eyes fixated on the gash, forever etching the image into her mind. Lila raised an eyebrow, sighing. "Well then, street rat," she addressed Gray. "You're safe, but you don't get a medic, as you were pronounced dead. Dead men don't get medics."

Chapter 5: A Queen's Resolve

Zoe's heart ached for Gray, who was left wounded and unattended. Determined, she sat down beside him, watching as he stitched and bandaged his wounds. She dipped a cloth in lukewarm water, gently wiping away the grime from his face. Gray's eyes widened, his gaze locked with hers.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, his voice barely audible. "Your father..."

"Nonsense," Zoe interrupted, redipping the now bloodstained cloth. "I have mourned the two of you enough. Father would have wanted me to enjoy life."

A faint smile tugged at Gray's lips. "I see you have become wise in my absence," he teased. "You will make an amazing Queen."

Suddenly serious, he continued, "I know our marriage was arranged, and we are husband and wife, but if you want to divorce, I understand. You need a worthy king to rule by your side, Zoe."

Zoe sighed, hugging Gray tightly. "You complete and utter idiot," she whispered. "You are a worthy king, Gray."

Gray, still as stiff as a board, winced. "Ouch," he grumbled, gesturing to his wounds being squeezed. "Zoe, be gentle."