Chapter 9. Diagnosis

Beginne am Anfang

"So, how are you, Lloyd?" Dr. Ming asked kindly once they'd taken seats.

Lloyd sat completely still and didn't give a single hint of being willing to even part his lips. He felt unable to speak in such a strange situation.

"He is shy, extremely so," Wu explained. "He's very hesitant to speak to strangers."

"I see," Dr. Ming nodded. "Well, could you tell me exactly what problem you're here for?"

Wu ended up being the one to explain his nephew's issue with his joints and his non-existent previous medical care. He seemed to have a lot of information, which made Lloyd suspect Kai and Nya had given him a whole lesson regarding his experiences with his joints.

"Alright," Dr. Ming said after the long explanation. "Well, I'll have a look at his joints and run some tests. From the description you've already given, it does seem like the cause is a condition rather than an injury."

Lloyd glanced up at Wu, biting his lip and probably looking quite scared. The uncle gave him an encouraging nod, which helped a little, but did not make those sharp weapons go any further.

Fortunately, no tools needed to be used at any point. Dr. Ming simply had Lloyd move his ankles and wrists and felt their movements a little. She then ran a blood test and gave them an appointment for something called MRI. The doctor made the mistake of telling Lloyd about the MRI while the blood test was being performed. The boy was so nervous he barely acknowledged Dr. Ming was still talking.

"Well, the MRI is scheduled for next week," Wu informed as they walked out of the healthcare center. He was reading the little sheet filled with text the doctor had given him.

Lloyd blinked at his uncle before carefully pulling the paper towards himself so that he could also see it. He wasn't very interested in the information on it, but his name, which was located in the corner. He said nothing, but pointed at the surname he discovered to be Garmadon. And apparently he had an extra name: Montgomery.

"Oh, I forgot completely," Wu muttered. He pocketed the paper and faced Lloyd. "According to the law, you must have a surname, either the one you had at birth, the one you resume upon marriage or the one your caretaker holds. Therefore, I was either going to have to give you my name as your surname or give you your original name. You were born Lloyd Garmadon, so I thought it would be the best choice."

Lloyd wasn't sure if he still understood, but nodded anyway. He didn't like the sound of his surname, though. He had always been called Smith, which had made him feel like a true sibling to Kai and Nya. Now he felt like he was being detached from them more and more.

"Garmadon was your father's first name, you know," Wu continued. "It has been a tradition in our family that children take their father's first name as their surname, hence my first name is Morro's surname, and your father's is yours."

Lloyd's mind focused mainly on the "our family" part. As much as he liked his uncle, he didn't yet feel like Wu or anyone else related to him was his own family. The only people his mind counted as his family were Kai and Nya.

"I should probably tell you more about your origin," Wu suddenly said, sighing. "There is so much you need to know."

Lloyd had nothing against this idea, really. He was kind of hoping to hear something similar to what Kai and Nya had been told. He didn't want elemental powers or anything, but something interesting, like a wizard wand.

🌕•🌕•🌕

As he had planned, Wu had brought Lloyd into a quiet room where they could have a conversation without disruptions. The ninjas, Morro and the Smith siblings were all out training, which was why it was a good moment to tell Lloyd everything.